iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparing for next teak thinning 2018 (Now Started)

Started by teakwood, September 21, 2017, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I've had some experience with what you are trying to do.You have lots of competition selling raw wood to finished products with years of experience in front of you. Lots of info on the internet available to help you write a business plan. Most guys just dump into the Indian market. Good luck! 

Costa Rican cull counter tops .

A cull kitchen table....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

nativewolf

Ah, Tule Peak has jumped in so that's great.  Ok, question for you:  you've worked with juvinile CR teak before, hwo stable is it?  will it move if used as boat decking?  porch decking?  Just curious.
Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

I couldn't get it to go as boat decking. As porch and stair treds yes. The CR stuff I have was re-kilned by me and seems to be fine for stability.Rob

teakwood

That's great info and very useful. thanks tule peak
Do you know from which company the teak was, here in CR? How old was the teak? and can i know the price you paid for a board or how are those measurements?
Your kitchen table looks pretty knotty, was that intentional or was the teak all knotty?
What do you mean with cull? I looked that up and it means like to pick out of a bunch, is that correct?

"You have lots of competition selling raw wood to finished products with years of experience in front of you."

You are right with that statement and i think that i do not want to get into that with my small amount of wood next year. Too much unknown variables.
What i always thought is:
When i have +20 years old teak i try to find one single buyer who would love to buy X amount(small) of quality and to his required measurements sawn (or planed) timber directly from me. I'm sure i can sell him 80% of the price he would pay at the store or timber salesmen.
I need to eliminate the middlemen's who just take a big chunk out of the price without too much effort.
There is no sense to try to compete with the big companies.
But i am sure a buyer would also benefit from such a deal.

Here is a topic i wrote in the woodworking section. It's about my closet i made out of 20 year old teak, lots of pics!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92928.msg1431382.html#msg1431382
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

nativewolf

Quote from: tule peak timber on September 25, 2017, 03:44:59 PM
I couldn't get it to go as boat decking. As porch and stair treds yes. The CR stuff I have was re-kilned by me and seems to be fine for stability.Rob

Couldn't get it to go...meaning no one wanted it?  Didn't work?  Or?
Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

I looked at your teak closet link. Very attractive and very well done. I found that when I was filling in the blanks/ answers, in my business plan for a second  grower selling teak culls , TACA was the most impressive tool . Without a doubt, the best looking stews on ANY airline, anywhere in the world. Immaculately dressed and extremely professional and polite. This little airline tried so hard it seems they have been absorbed by Avianca. Taca clearly was exceptional and its business model was rewarded..
You clearly have talent , and what brief research I did on you today would lead me to believe that standing out from the crowd is within your grasp. You need to do the research on your selected business model and go from there.  Rob

thecfarm

Interesting on your preparing for your next harvest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Thanks for you encouraging words, i appreciate.

i kind a on hold with all that teak timber selling, searching for markets of semi or finished teakproducts, investing in woodworking machines

Since 3.5 years i'm trying to get the permits for a stone quarry on my land. Although it has been the most difficult and stressful thing i have ever done in my life i am so close to achieve it.  Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  (CR Government and institutions are some of the worst on the planet, a international study confirms my opinion, they have zero interest if the private firms and investors produce or not!!)
The quarry will without a doubt become my main and most profitable business.

So the teak will become my retirement plan and second business. The thinnings will have to be done, no matter what. i'm aware of that. But it was always my idea to let that teak grow to 25,30 even 40 years.     

teakwood

We finally started the thinning, weather is still a little rainy so i have to wait with the skidding but we already dropped around 550 trees, we (i and a helper) do 80 per day from 6 to 11, after that we skid for 2-3 hours if the day is dry, if not we call it a day. The tops we cut in pieces so nothing stays 1-2' over the ground and let them to rot.
In total i marked 2206 trees for this thinning. The trees in the pics are 13 years old.

Remember that pic from the start of the topic?

and now after thinning

We did the nasty slopes first

Before

After

Here you can see the difference pretty good. right side is before thinning and the left side is already done

the first 30 trees on the landing, nice dark color

provisional addition to the atv, i just hated to bend over the chainsaw on the ground which moved all over the place! Now it a sturdy mount at ideal height!! ;D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

teakwood

they were the original tires when i bought the quad and then had them vulcanized with that farm tractor design, good for the mud bad for the road

tule peak timber

Quote from: nativewolf on September 25, 2017, 06:34:35 PM
Quote from: tule peak timber on September 25, 2017, 03:44:59 PM

Couldn't get it to go...meaning no one wanted it?  Didn't work?  Or?
Yup...

teakwood

Some more pics
This is one of the biggest i have to cut, it hurts but i have to make light

18" bar

Before

After

chep

Awesome pics! And awesome project. The tropical growth rates make your project so tangible for a person to be involved in a lifetime forestry operation

teakwood

The normal clear cut circle in teak is 20years, then replant again, so actually if you start young, as i did, you could make 2 circles but i prefer to let them grow.

lopet

Nice pics and good job, just wondering why you as a European are using the Humbolt. I didn't know that style until I moved to where I am now. I personally would have used the conventional cut and probably had my notch even a  little lower where you had yours and my back cut at the same high or a little lower where you had yours. Not trying to criticize, just wondering why you prefer it.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Sometimes the good ones has to go to make it better for the rest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Quote from: lopet on December 31, 2017, 07:06:15 PM
Nice pics and good job, just wondering why you as a European are using the Humbolt. I didn't know that style until I moved to where I am now. I personally would have used the conventional cut and probably had my notch even a  little lower where you had yours and my back cut at the same high or a little lower where you had yours. Not trying to criticize, just wondering why you prefer it.

That's a good question! I definitely learned the humbolt technic here on the FF. As we fell lots of trees a day i just adapted all my movements to a minimum so i can do it faster. the humbolt, if done correctly which is not that simple, just gives you a nice, straight butt on the log (as you can see on the pic where i have my hand on the log) so i don't have to make a second cut to square the butt of the log.
And i like the technic because i can cut low and saving any inch of the log will give me more money. ;D ;D 

teakwood

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2017, 09:20:37 PM
Sometimes the good ones has to go to make it better for the rest.

In the first pic you can see a tree on the right side (with a blue mark) and another blue one is on the left side (not in the pic) and another blue one further down, which are even bigger and nicer than the one i dropped. The blue trees are my future trees, the dominant ones.
The 3 blue ones stand in a triangle and the red one was in the middle of it. So with falling only one in the middle, although a real nice tree, i help 3 future trees to get more light.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

teakwood

The small ones are a real PITA ::) 16 trees in that hitch on 8 chokers 

The bigger ones are ok. I will be very happy when the day comes i just need to put 3-4 trees behind the skidder ;D

mike_belben

Thats pulp friction, the days when youre logging for burger flipping money! 

Nice work, itll pay off!
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Seeing the spaghetti wire electrical wires reminds me of the tropics (Thailand to India)  for sure.  Just run another wire...no worries.  Fortunate that there is a market for the small stuff, Teak is a great great wood.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on January 13, 2018, 09:14:32 AM
Thats pulp friction, the days when youre logging for burger flipping money! 

Nice work, itll pay off!

That's right but the difference with teak is that also the small ones are worth something. The small ones are around 10$, so that hitch was 160$, more or less. Not much but it ads up, i am cutting 2200 trees this year. 

Thank You Sponsors!