iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hicory ain't just for floors

Started by LeeB, April 05, 2008, 10:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

'nuff said. digin_2 digin_2 digin_2
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

No, it ain't 'nuff said until we hear how was the eatin' ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

My neighbor looks at me kinda funny because I toss the hickory limbs that fall into a special pile that does not get burnt up with the leaves and other limbs in the burn pile.  :) ;D

Why go buy the stuff when nature provides, right?

Lanier_Lurker

Oh, and one more thing: if you want a really good hot dog try smoking a batch of Hebrew Nationals for 30 - 45 minutes with hickory.  Some would say it is a waste of good smoke, but.... 8)

Tom

A  man after my heart.  You can't beat a real wood fire. Hickory sure will sweeten one up.  It's a great cooking tree.  you can use the nuts, wood or bark.   Don't waste a stick. :)

Lanier_Lurker

Oh yes, the nuts and husks as well.   8)

I've got a mockernut that drops nuts, still in the husk, that are the size of a golf ball.  Those big thick husks are great for smoking.  I've got a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of husks and nuts that were duds as seed.  Grillin' weather is here!

WDH

Makes me want to cook some meat over hickory tomorrow 8).

Lee, see what you have done :).  I am sure that was your intent all along, to send us a not so subliminal subliminal message ;D. 

Mission accomplished whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Mmmmmmm That's a fine lookin' whack o meat there Lee   ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Lee,

I am going to grill some steak for lunch today.  You have forced me to add some hickory to the coals :).

LeeB

The eatin' went pretty good. Lot's of birthdays all right close together so BBQ was on order. The briket was a little tough, but tasty. Smoked chicken is always good and the venison sausage was fantastic. For sides there was pinto beans, cole slaw, potatoe salad, and my own secret BBQ sause. Cake and ice cream to finish. Just had a plate of leftovers for lunch. As ususal I cooked way too much, so there is a big batch sealed and in the freezer for a later date.
The hickory is taking me a little getting used to. All I ever used before was live oak but alas, it don't grow here.
Tom, I have always cooked over a wood fire, the way my daddy taught me when I was just a pup. Can't beat it.
WDH, enjoy that steak. I plan to have one sometime next week if the weather allows. We just bought a half beef and I'm dying to get into it. I love to grill and we eat of the pit quite a bit, even in the winter.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

Boy does that ever look good Lee. Our winds were too strong for the wood smoker so I used my gas grill which has a small wood smoker section to one side. Not as good as cooking over real hardwood but not too bad either.

Tom

If you figure out how to cook that brisket and make it tender, for goodness sakes, let me in on the secret.   Even the commercial guys, who claim tender brisket, rely on cutting it cross-grain in real thin strips.  :D

It does have a good flavor though.

One of my favorite cuts, for flavor, is Chuck.  

pineywoods

Quote from: Tom on April 06, 2008, 02:16:08 PM
If you figure out how to cook that brisket and make it tender, for goodness sakes, let me in on the secret.   Even the commercial guys, who claim tender brisket, rely on cutting it cross-grain in real thin strips.  :D

It does have a good flavor though.

One of my favorite cuts, for flavor, is Chuck.   

Tom, I know it can be done. There's a local BBQ place here that does it. Just ask don-K, Radar67, wssjr, jerry-m, or pineknot. I doubt he would tell me how, but I'll ask (yummy smilley here)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mooseherder

If Brisket is tough, it ain't done yet. ;D
Cook it some more. ;)

Tom

I've cooked the dang stuff till it has gone from raw to jerky. It was always just in different stages of tough. :D :D

Dave Shepard

Tom, you must not have said y'all enough, someone told me it works wonders on tough food.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

I can cook them tender, it just takes a long time. I try to slow cook them for about 24hrs or more. I got rushed along this time.

Tom

You might have a point there Dave.  I wasn't aware that brisket was regional enough to care, but I'll try anything once.   It's a good thing I can chew as good as I can.  I'll eat it anyway.  :D :D

24 hours!!  Maybe that's my trouble.  I'll have to rethink this thing.  Brisket is beginning to sound like the preparation of Tomato Crisps.

Dave Shepard

Do I dare ask what a tomato crisp is? ;D :P

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Knowledge Base, Dave, Knowledge Base.  :D :D :D

Dave Shepard

Last time I went in there someone was telling me to talk Southern to my grits, didn't work. Must not have got the accent right. ;)

Dave

LeeB

The best brisket I ever did was on a camping trip. I got out in the sticks and forgot to bring a grill. I seasoned up the brisket and wrapped it with foil. I dug a shallow hole, lit a fire in it and let it burn down to a good bed of coals. Then I put a flat rock over the coals, put the brisket on top of that and covered it over with smaller rocks and let er cook all day. You could smell it all through the camp ground. Turned out moist, tender and wonderfully smoked.

Lanier_Lurker

Hey Lee, you oughta edit the title of this post to correct the spelling for hickory.

Wouldn't want folks to miss this post when searching on the keyword "hickory"!   8) 8)

ARKANSAWYER

LeeB spelt it like we says it here in the hills.

Brisket is best if wrapped but the top open a bit and cooked slow around 250 degrees at least 12 hours.
ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

I saw it was spelled wrong as soon as I posted LL. Believe it or not I can read and write, just can't type worth a darn. I figured I would leave like it is. Got to carry on the hillbilly myth.

Thank You Sponsors!