iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My cancer journey

Started by Ed_K, July 11, 2016, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Last Wednesday's Doctor appointment informed us that the bone pain is something I wiil have the rest of my life. And that the best thing to deal with it is to use the pain meds. I really believed that I would go into a complete remission and the bone pain would go away. Guess we didn't ask the right question's. We met with a Nurse practitioner who we will meet with every other time we go in for a council. In the meeting I was given a pamphlet from the Leukemia & lymphoma Society (I put the name on page one here also in case someone needs the info.) that really explains the phases of my disease. And what questions to ask a doctor. (I wish we were given this information in the beginning).
So now I'm on maintenance drugs one to strengthen my bones (myeloma dissolves the calcium in the bones). And a light chemo drug that will try to eliminate the last of the myeloma cells.
Ed K

Stephen Alford

Sure has been a rugged 14 month journey but you are a long way from were you started... good on ya my friend   :)
logon

sawguy21

I am really glad to hear from you Ed, it has been a bumpy road. Keep up the good fight my friend, all the best to you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Even a small step is a step ahead.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Hope through mess and time pain will be manageable. 

Bruno of NH

Keep up the good fight you will kick it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

Thanks everyone, they are small steps but I see them going forward  :) .
Ed K

thecfarm

You better be going forward!!!   ;D Questions,questions,questions. At times like that,who knows which ones to ask.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Last Tuesday I started a second 21 day treatment of the light chemo drug. In the last 2 weeks I've really started feeling great. I actually worked on the logging job on days it didn't rain and worked 5-6 hrs a day and didn't wear myself out totally. So I thought if I felt this good maybe I could cut down on the pain meds, NOT, wow the pain came on with a vengeance. won't try that again. 8th of Nov we go to visit with the doctor's that did the cell transplant for a review. Hoping they tell me I'm in remission. Then I only need worry that it could come back.
Ed K

Autocar

Ed I pray for good news when you see him !
Bill

plantman

A friend of mine is a podiatrist who has a chiropractor friend who had colon cancer. Rather than going for surgery and chemo he went to Germany to a clinic called , Klinik Marinus Am Stein. At this clinic they gave him a hyperthermic treatment which is apparently some sort of sauna designed to raise his body temperature ( like having a fever ) and this is supposed to kill the cancer. He claims total success. They also gave him vitamin infusion treatments.

Ed_K

Maybe I baked it out of me on Sunday. Went to the ER with a 102.6 Doctor on call thinks I have a bacterial infection. Was scared I wouldn't be able to go to Dartmouth Hitchcock tomorrow. But they called back this morning and said I could come.
Ed K

Ed_K

Yesterday we went. We're at where we're at. I still have it,it's not going to be cured but it's not making new cells anymore. So all we can do now is take the maintenance drugs and hope and pray it doesn't start growing again.
Today we went to my home oncology Doctor for the follow up on the sunday night trip to the ER. They can't find anything that is causing the roller coaster ride with the temps. All test came back negative. Just now I felt a little hot took my temp it's up to 101.3 but the doctor said it just needs to run it's course. Don't worry till it 105   :o :( . they have me on a anti bacterial med for 7 days.
So that where I'm and all I can ask. I'm going to pray for 20 yrs  ;D  8) .
Ed K

Jeff

So will we Ed. You can count on it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

My Prayers will continue for you Ed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Thinking about you, Ed!

Keep up on your maintenance meds!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Prayers your way my friend . Twenty years that's what we will pray for.
Bill

Bruno of NH

I'm thinking about you Ed and you will get prayers for as long as it takes
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

I had another visit with our main oncology doctor yesterday. I finally heard some words I've waiting on for quite awhile.
"The myeloma cells are in REMISSION." I went in on the 18th for a full blood test where they check a lot of different things. One of the tests checks for myeloma cells in the blood stream. They couldn't find any. That doesn't mean they're all gone, myeloma is non curable. But not finding any is a good thing. Now I will be on a medicine that should keep the myeloma in check for hopefully many yrs. The schedule will be 21 days on 7 days off. The worst part is 21 pills cost $3k. I hope Rita's insurance keeps me till her retirement and medicare after that. I couldn't cut enough timber to pay that much.
Thank you all for reading this long post. I hope it will help someone else in need of the information. Long story short, ASK questions,don't let anyone keep you in the dark.
Ed K

Hilltop366

sawguy21

What a great Christmas present. 8) All the best Ed, we are all pulling for you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gww

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Thank you God for watching over our Friend!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!