iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old forwarder/skidder

Started by Wisconsintimber, October 28, 2018, 11:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Find the pump, pull the pressure hose and see if its dry.  If so pour oil in it and try again.  Obviously the reservoir needs oil but an old pump may have too much clearance to siphon when dry.  Lubing the gears will help it pull some vacuum and get flowing.  

Puffergas was describing a selector valve.  It would send flow either to the chassis drive/steer or the loader. Look upstream of the loader supply hose. 
Praise The Lord

Cub

Pretty sure that's the 1 that was on wausau's Craigslist? It's been there for a while. I say go for it if you can pay for it. Tinker with it and fix it as you have extra cash. Get it going and use it and fix the minor things here and there. For the price I'd go for it. Yes you may end up throwing 3-4000 at it. But you can buy a used 100,000$ machine and throw 20-30 grand at that pretty fast too. 

Skeans1

Quote from: azmtnman on October 30, 2018, 08:11:52 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on October 29, 2018, 08:00:00 PM
Just a point on forum organization.  The sawmilling section has gotten cluttered with Logging related threads.  
I think you have 2 different audiences/ways of doing things between the logging and the sawmill forums.
Some of us sawmill guys are forest-to-finish and require a different point of view.
Case in point--there was a young man posted something about using an old 9N Ford for logging and the loggers answers were "get a skidder for skidding!" Sure! Let's spend $10,000 on a junky piece of heavy equipment that needs special hauling. The old 9N can be pulled on almost any trailer and be bought for $1500. It's not going to skid 10 cords a day--the logging focus. But it will get a few logs to the sawmill--the milling crowd.
2 different perspectives.
Yes and no, a tractor is not made for skidding it gets pretty hard in the center where they bolt together let alone not having guarding. We have both 100 horse tractor with a forwarder trailer and a true forwarder there's a huge difference one is safety, lifting capacity, clearance, and guarding.

Wisconsintimber

Quote from: azmtnman on October 30, 2018, 08:11:52 PM

I think you have 2 different audiences/ways of doing things between the logging and the sawmill forums.
Some of us sawmill guys are forest-to-finish and require a different point of view.
Case in point--there was a young man posted something about using an old 9N Ford for logging and the loggers answers were "get a skidder for skidding!" Sure! Let's spend $10,000 on a junky piece of heavy equipment that needs special hauling. The old 9N can be pulled on almost any trailer and be bought for $1500. It's not going to skid 10 cords a day--the logging focus. But it will get a few logs to the sawmill--the milling crowd.
2 different perspectives.
Yes good explanation, that was my reasoning for posted it in the sawmilling section.  I'm not really a logger, and not really looking for production equipment so rarely view the logging topic.  However I do see why it probably fits in here better.

Wisconsintimber

So, an update on the machine I looked at... In the fist part of November I made and the owner accepted an offer, sent money down and would go to pick it up when I got a trailer lined up. The assumption/hope was that it was low on hydraulic fluid so the hydraulics should work.  A couple of weeks later I borrowed a gooseneck trailer, took some tools and hyd fluid and headed over there, the temps had dropped to in the 20s.  We got there and the starter wouldn't work so I spent a couple of hours tearing it apart and got it to work.  With some starting fluid it came to life. but if I let the clutch out it dies even in neutral.  Must have moisture in the transmission that has frozen(quite common in old tractors and equipment)  Even so, I figured that I should put some hyd fluid in it and see if things work...still nothing.  Not sure what's going on with that, the first time I was there it was above freezing so it should have worked then if moisture was the problem.  The pump is belt driven and is turning, but no noise from the pump or whining on startup, nothing when I try a hydraulic function.
So we are kind of in limbo right now with this being a bad time of year to try to deal with old frozen equipment.  The owner said it can sit till next spring, I don't really like that idea, but?  to be continued...

chevytaHOE5674

Take a torpedo heater and blast it towards the trans to get everything warmed up and moving. As for the pump if it's reservoir is full then like suggested take the pressure hose off and fill the pump with and then see if it will work. Also try leaving the pressure line loose a turn or so in case it is air locked.

Thank You Sponsors!