iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoring an old rocker

Started by SwampDonkey, September 28, 2012, 05:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

My cousin presented this old rocker he said one of his grandmothers owned. One of them is a great grandmother to me. He didn't know which grandmother had the chair. Anyway, it's in pretty bad shape. The right arm is broken as well as the finer spokes. Also I notice a crack in the frame where the main post goes in. It's week there I suppose because of the veneer sheet that was attached with a grooved track they formed the sheet to fit. The veneer seat is also split. But those two aspects I'm not going to touch. If I did, might as well call it my rocker. :D

I'm just tackling the arm and the posts to secure it. I carved out the arm from a pattern drawn of the broken arm. Also, I have the main arm post turned. The 3 smaller ones I made 7/16" dowel and reduced the ends to 3/8". I've got all the holes in the arm drilled, except the bolt hole that attaches it to the back upright post. I need to get a round headed bolt tomorrow and drill out a hole to fit it. On the arm underside there is a 3/4" hole where the bolt will come through and allow a nut to be placed. Just so it matches the old way it was done. The narrow end of the arm has a 1" radius cut at 10 ° with a forstner to hug the corner post. Used the drill press. I've got to drill out the old dowel wood in the seat, they broke off. The old arms,seat, vertical posts, and runners where maple, but the rest seems like red oak and pretty brittle red oak at that. It was made pretty light and not strong even for the times. If it were mine, it might be kindling. She's a rough old girl. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Got her all patched up this morning and put a coat of stain on the new wood.  Ready for battle again. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Looks like you did a fine job breathing new life into that old relic.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

My cousin was pleased, and I got paid. So everyone wins. :)

Lud

Nice job, Bill.   

I've had some luck strengthening broken dowels with bamboo skewers (1/8") drilling holes, adding glue, and pounding the bamboo rods thru and trimming off.  Very strong.  You can get 3 or 4  into a pretty small area.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Nice job. I bet a few babies been rocked in that old chair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Ah, funny you mention the rocking of kids CFarm. I have a photo here of my grandmother holding her great grand daughter while rocking in my great grandmother's old red wicker rocker. (Grammy's mom's rocker) Funny how stuff plays out. :D

I coulda done a whole lot more to that chair as I mentioned, but my cousin is in his mid 80's. Even what I was paid was more than the old thing was worth. Sometimes you just have to get practical. ;)

sandhills

Nice work SD, sentimental has a value too  :)

Thank You Sponsors!