iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Palm sander, PSA stick problem

Started by ElectricAl, November 04, 2005, 08:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

We have 4 Porter Cable 334 Palm sanders that use PSA sandpaper.

The problem is the PSA sandpaper won't stick very well or not at all.

I have tried new pads on 2 and they worked fine for the first couple of papers, but now are worthless.

Any ideas on how to safely clean the pads, they are not worn out.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Al,

Most of the folks that I know who use those sanders, use Hook and loop.  The PSA is notorious for sticking only one time.   If the problem is that you can't re-use a sanding disc then it is a common problem.  I'll search for someone who can verify what I have said and maybe could offer a solution.

sprucebunny

I use the hook and loop one but have used other sanders that you sprayed the adhesive on. Available at my auto parts store.
Spraying something on might make things work better or it might just make a sticky mess :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

chet

I bought a sheet of the hook material and used disc adhesive to attach it to my PSA sander pads. You can buy the hook pads for your sander, but what I did was way cheeper.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom_Averwater

I've got a Porter Cable sander also. I clean the pad with paint thinner when it gets dirty with dust and glue .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

woodbowl

I got tired of cleaning the pad also so I went to Lowes and got a hook and loop kit to glue on to the existing pad.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Larry

Al, I assume your putting a different grit on each sander and leaving the disc on until it's worn out.  A little lacquer thinner to clean the pads helps.  If your trying to change before the disc is wore out hook and loop would be better.  I also use Klingspor sandpaper...if ya ever have a problem just call them and they will make it right.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

I use numerous PSA pads on numerous sanders. Reuse of the paper is limited to using it by hand, as the adhesive is one shot. Usually I run the paper out until shot then pitch and replace. You should heat up the adhesive by using the sander and then peel it off. I do clean the pad on occasion with thinner or spirits. Don't try to reuse them it is not worth it. Quality of pads is critical, I like Carborundum brand. They are not cheap but last and cut quick. Time is money. If you are a hobbist and need to freaquently switch grits then the hook and loop are for you as stated.

Reid 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Joe W

I use spray disk adhesive made by 3m.It is made for plain sandpaper,but I've used it on the psa disks as well.Should be able get it at any autobody supply store.

ElectricAl

Thanks for the replies  ;)

Each sander has a different grit, and we use it until it flys off :-X

Once the paper is off, then it gets folded in1/2 and set by the lathe ;D

I cleaned 2 sanders with mineral spirits last night, but won't get a chance to use them until next Sunday ::)

I have tried a couple of Hook & Loop sanders and it appeared to not sand flat.
After sanding a top it felt wavy. I thought the loops had too much give.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

annia

If your sandpaper is not sticking to your sander pad first check the sandpaper and sander pad for debris or moisture buildup.If there's dust take an compressor to the surface if there's wetness let it dry.
Annia Palmer

21incher

I have been using the psa paper for years and have the opposite problem where it sticks so good the stick surface on the sanding pad tears off. I only use Porter Cable and norton paper and always keep it sealed in rubbermade containers with dessicant packs. Humidity can affect the glue. As mentioned above I only use it once on the sander and then it goes in a box for hand sanding. I find the low cost harbor freight type paper will not stick good and then the heat from sanding makes it release like you are experiencing.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!