iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1966 230C

Started by sandersen, April 28, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

To all the timberjack guys...I'm working on my old tj trying to bring her back into shape.  I have replaced almost every single hydraulic hose and fitting.  The old ones were all rotten and beat to death because the bundle runs from the valve bank through the hole in the floor and then drapes over the top of the main drive line.  The previous owner allowed the hose bundle to hang right on the drive line!  Of course the hoses were destroyed.  But after replacing them all I see the problem.  There's no bracket or hanger to prevent this...I have a strap at the moment slung around the bundle and tied off up above but that's hokey.  And those hoses really hang close to the drive line. Welding a bracket under there is tough, but something needs to be done permanently.  Anyone have any creative thoughts?  Also, there's only only line left to replace (and by the way...the cost of hose and fittings!!!) and that's the little ole brake line connected to the bottom of the drum.  How on earth do you get to that little fitting?  Thanks.
"Make every step count."

Neilo

You can get to the winch clutch line by taking off the right winch leg and pulling the outer clutch cylinder off the shaft. Then you can replace the line and fit it back onto the clutch cylinder and fit it back on the shaft without worrying about twisting the line when you fit it.

Otherwise, reach up in front of the rear axle from under the machine and hope your arm is long enough.

sandersen

Okay thanks Neilo...I actually got the winch clutch line by reaching up from down below like you said...but what about that brake line that goes to the actually brake drum...man that's a bugger.  Can't seem to reach it from anywhere. 
"Make every step count."

Neilo

I thought you meant the winch clutch drum because the standard brake wheel cylinder is not at the bottom. It is at about 2 o'clock looking from the front of the skidder at the rear of the brake backing plate. Dead easy to get to.

When I had my brake backing plate off, I looked at rotating it so the cylinder is right at the top as it looked like it would bleed better there, but the hole spacing only allowed the backing plate to go on in one spot. I have had the brake line made at a brake shop and got a few inches of metal line in the rear fitting and put a curve in that to keep the line clear of everything.

Does yours have a disc brake conversion or the front output drum at the bottom front of the transfer case?

sandersen

It has the front drum at the bottom of the t case...I hate top pull the pto out just to get to the fitting at the back bottom of the drum.  When looking at the brake from the front...the fitting is at almost 6 oclock at the back of the drum.  I like the idea of extendinbg the line out and having a separate fitting that you can get to easily like you did...but accessing the bottom of that drum is a bugger.
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!