iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not good when Stuff happens

Started by Magicman, August 18, 2011, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was bushhogging today at the Tree Farm and got one of these.   :-\

Yes, that is a rear tractor tire with either a  Honey Locust or Mock Orange thorn in it.  I didn't have my trailer with me, so I've got to go back, take that baby off, and load it up.   :-\   I could have gotten through bushhoggiing tomorrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

flat tires stink 

if you had 100 goats out there, you wouldn't have gotten the flat tire....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

If I had 100 goats out there they would be gone because I don't have fences anymore.   ;D Trees don't get out.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Nah Magic the goat wouldn't have gone too far.... cuz they'd be up in the trees.   :D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

redbeard

I had a limb pop up and stab my valve stem last summer on my rear tractor tire didn't even have enough time to drive it in a open area so I could work on it easily. Turned into a huge job my rims and centers had to be replaced due to rust from calcium. Plus I had to do other side cause the set was 1 inch smaller in diameter. Hope yours goes well. Those thorns must be tiff to get threw a tractor tire.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chris Burchfield

I'm kinda out of business right now cause of one of them.  A little bit worse, not a thorn which I'm subject to but, a tear along the bead. Not sure how.  A new tire and tube runs just under $500 that I don't have.  I have forks on the back of my Ford 4000 I use to move logs around.  As opposed to skidding them through the dirt to the mill.  I do have a couple of saw jobs lined up that would likely cover the cost.  Biggest problem is I'm a fair weathered sawyer and blacksmith.  When we hit above 90°F here in Memphis, humidity causes the heat index to be at or above 100.  I do grill ribs, butts and shoulders but, I do not do whole hog.  Getting me out in heat like that is doing whole hog which I don't do!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

paul case

i spent yesterday afternoon helping my dad fix one of those tractor rear tires. 18.4-34. he already had it jacked up so we could take it off. we rolled it to the back of the pickup and used the hydraulic bale bed to pick it up and haul it to the shop. the tire was an old rag and was far expired. dad had bought a set of duals that size a few years back just for the tires, so we took one of those off and put on his tractors rim. we drive a 4x4 3/4 ton pickup's front tire up on the tractor tire to break it down off the bead and then some old (primitive) tire tools to get the tire off the rim. his had calcuim in it too but no cancer. we greased the rim and put her back together. all total it took 2 1/2 hours including the time we had to sit on a bucket in front of the fan.
new tires would double the tractors value, since we only gave $1100 for it a couple years ago.
good luck magic. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Quote from: redbeard on August 19, 2011, 01:58:36 AM
I had a limb pop up and stab my valve stem last summer on my rear tractor tire didn't even have enough time to drive it in a open area so I could work on it easily. Turned into a huge job my rims and centers had to be replaced due to rust from calcium. Plus I had to do other side cause the set was 1 inch smaller in diameter. Hope yours goes well. Those thorns must be tiff to get threw a tractor tire.

Those Locust thorns are deffinitely tough.

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, even the thorns have thorns on them.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yup, that's them Chuck.  I carried the trailer over this morning, aired the tire up, took it off, loaded it onto my trailer and off to the tire shop.  They patched 4 holes while I removed the thorns from the tire.  They then proceeded to pinch the tube between the tire and rim when they aired it up.  Split the tube open.  Yup, off to the Co-Op to get a new tube.  I'm still not satisfied that all is OK, but it is back on the tractor.   At least I am now $100 lighter than I was when I left home this morning.   :-\

Coon

Wow, you carried your trailer all the way to the tractor, whew you must be tired n have a sore back now.   ;)   :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Autocar

I had one of those a week ago on Monday $213.00 later I was logging again!
Bill

DanG

Quote from: Coon on August 20, 2011, 12:27:59 PM
Wow, you carried your trailer all the way to the tractor, whew you must be tired n have a sore back now.   ;)   :D 

He's from the South, Coon.  Southern people can carry a lot more than Yankees and Canucks. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Heck, I can even carry on foolishness.   :D :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Just another reason I don't particularly care for honey locust.

Glad you got it fixed without too much else going wrong.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

I drove over to the tree farm this morning to finish my bushhogging today.  NOT

That $100 repair job was just that.  $100 gone.  I can not say much about the intelligence of the new tire repair shop owners, but I am a witness to their competency incompetency.  I avoided a conflict when they split my tube and really owed me a new one, and I will also avoid this one.  When you are outnumbered and playing in someone else's  playground, the best thing to do sometimes is to just leave.

I'll go back over Monday with a trailer, load the tire up and go to a different tire repair shop.

I did get a lot of stuff done.  Changed the oil, hydraulic oil, and all of the filters.  I also filled a leaking gearbox on the Bushhog with high temp grease.

I have to replace that lower seal before it cost me many $$$.

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on August 27, 2011, 09:46:35 PM
  I also filled a leaking gearbox on the Bushhog with high temp grease.

I have to replace that lower seal before it cost me many $$$.

i am not sure about that costing that much. my dad has one that the seal went out on when his dad had it(passed away in 1970). we have used it off and on for all my life just pumping a tube of gun grease into the gearbox each time we use it. still works well. dad says it will last you a lifetime , if you die when you should.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

thecfarm

I would not bring my ball back and play with them at thier play ground again.   ;)  I feel the fault was theirs for pitching the tire. You did the right thing. Sometimes it's just not worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

oh i forgot to mention, i am proud of you for taking the high road.

my dad protest bad service at a restaurant by tipping, maybe not a much but still leaving a tip, and then not going there again. it takes a lot more stuff to put up with it for a while but it shows smarts to not subject yourself to it given the chance.

screw me once, shame on you. screw me twice, shame on me.

if i was within an hour of you i would come out to your tree farm and help you fix that tire.  pc
pc

Magicman

Your comments mean a lot to me Paul. Thanks.

Al_Smith

This spring I had a 12.4 by 28 tire full of fluid split itself apart .The water valve was shot so I just bought a new tube for 50 bucks .

After taking a little better tire and cutting a 3 feet long boot with two reinforced patchs in the tire and a day of hard labor I'm back in business .Considering the Fergeson TO -20 tracter was made in 1951 and the tires probabley that old it comes as no surprise they gave up the ghost after that length of time .

I've done some 34's in my day and that really is a chore .

Al_Smith

Oh say not that's it's any of my business but gun grease won't work as well as oil .People have tried it on dozer track rollers instead of regular roller lube because the seals got blown out .Then after a period of time they get to rebuild the whole roller assembley instead of just the seals .--Ask me how I know . :-[

Magicman

Yup, I only have about 4 more acres to cut and then I will be done bushhogging.  Seals are in my future.

Plus, your expert advice is very much your business and very much appreciated my me. 

Magicman

The saga continues. 
:-\

I'll have it at the tire repair shop in the morning.  I already have an appointment with the shop owner.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2011, 09:12:45 PM
Heck, I can even carry on foolishness.   :D :D

DanG, MagicMan! I thought you had to be "veddy British" to Carry On...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!