iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Ready for a Hurricane

Started by Roxie, August 24, 2011, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Located here in the beautiful northeast, I have many memory's of sitting out the "remnants" of hurricanes and tropical depressions.  Those were very damaging storms.  We've never experienced an actual hurricane, category one or otherwise. 

If the predictions are correct, it's coming this way and I'd like to hear from our experienced hurricane members what to expect and what specifically to plan. 

So far, for the two of us, I have set aside:

14 gallons of drinking water
35 gallons of water for flushing and washing up
20 gallons of gas
canned goods & food to last 30+ days
generator gassed up and ready
chainsaw gassed up and sharp
90 day supply of prescription and OTC medicine
extra batteries for flashlights and lamps
tractor filled with gas
both vehicles filled with gas
gas grill with fresh propane tank
matches
rain gear and boots at the ready
Coleman camping cook stove w/propane

In the next few days, we will:
Move all outdoor furniture into garage
Take down and move all hanging baskets & chimes
Park the cattle trailer at a neighboring farm
Clean the drain in front of the garage

Our cows and the mule will be riding it out in barns that are in excellent condition, and we can't do more than that.

Now, from you experienced folks, have I forgotten anything?   Do you have any advice and tips for being prepared beyond what I've done? 

If you want to watch and see if my area get's impacted, just watch the map, and put your finger where the Maryland line and the Delaware line intersects with the Pennsylvania line.  I am there, and currently in the 110 MPH wind area by Sunday. 

Say when

Mooseherder

Looks like you have the bases covered very well.
We usually have to put panels on the windows but will skip that process for this one. :)
Other stuff you probably already have.
Can opener, coolers, ice, tarps, bleach, camera, film, radio, duct tape, fire extinguisher, toiletries, rope, pet food. :)

jim king

Valium for you to keep calm and in direction and minimal traumatic medical supplies for you and the animals , to sew up any wounds to the animals.  And hope it does not get there.

Good luck.

Dan_Shade

a good place to store water for sanitation purposes is in your washing machine. 

Why move your trailer to the neighbors?  do you have a bunch of trees?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Sounds like you're doing pretty good Roxie.  MH mentioned can opener, but be sure you have a MANUAL opener.  If you have extra space in the freezer, fill it up with water containers.  The ice will be handy, and it will keep your freezer cold a lot longer if the power is out for a while.  When stocking up on food items, try to choose stuff that you will use anyway if you don't need it for the storm, as you most likely won't.

It always makes you grumble when you make all these preparations and nothing happens, but it is dumb to not prepare.  My routine these days is to stow the outdoor stuff as well as I can and make sure the truck has plenty of gas.  I figger I can find more gas somewhere within 400 miles. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Gonna spend the next few days getting the tree gear ready to go...it makes you feel like a vulture some...but when trees come down...somebody has to clean up..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This hurricane stuff is getting serious. They just said on the weather channel this thing could rewrite history as THE worst yet.
You folks in the way better forget the generators, bottle water and toilet paper. Hook up the mill to the bumper and head west!
Praying for all of you.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

your gunna need more than 15 gal of water to drink.
o... dont forget... get chlorine tablets, for just in case.

?  you forgot the biggest importance.... LEAD! to fend off the unruly individuals.

ive never lived on the coast... i always remember them sayin, clean your bathtub and fill it for drinking water ,  it will hold around 50 gal full

Dan_Shade

I have several carboys used for homebrewing.  I plan to fill them up with drinking water.  I could potentially loose power for several days.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

clww

Sounds like a good start, Roxie! I'd add more drinking water and more gas. Maybe another tank of propane.
We're ready to go here. I've got the truck loaded with saws and gear for when the trees start coming down. Clearing roads and roofs, maybe get some more free firewood that I can sell later.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Buck

Yeah Roxie, first aid, disinfectant, more water...you have a good list
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

two tired

Roxie, just rember the largest part of a hurricane is to the east side of the eye. If you choose to run, go to the west of the eye
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Brucer

I think you've got most of it covered, Roxie. Here's a few random thoughts ..

Don't forget the battery-powered radio. Does your region have an emergency broadcast frequency, and if so, do you know what it is?

Another way to plan is to look at what can go wrong, and when. For example ...

- The storm hits: Lots of structural damage, possible injuries, etc. Your big concern will be dealing with major damage and trauma.

- Services and utilities get taken out. It will take time to restore power and telephone -- the big centers will be dealt with first. Lot's of folks are used to using cell phones but you shouldn't depend on them -- the emergency services people will need all the communications bandwidth they can get.

- Possible long term damage to water supplies, sewer, and highways. Water supplies could be contaminated for weeks and that can become a major health issue. You may want to increase your drinking water supply.

How's the weather been in your area during the summer? If you've had an unusual amount of rain, the ground may be saturated. That could lead to flooding during the storm where normally it wouldn't be a problem.

Have you got a tent in case the house is damaged?

Good luck!
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Roxie

You guys are awesome!  Thanks for the input!   8)

We have the battery powered radio we just need to find a local emergency station.  I don't own an electric can opener, so we're good to go there too.  We have more duct tape and tarps than the hardware store, and yes we even have lead.   :)  We also have an actual land-line telephone with a curly cord. 

We are moving the cattle trailer to the neighbors farm because they have a spot that is protected by an earthen bank and that would protect it from the wind better than our rather flat property.

Tomorrow I'll put water bags in the freezer (an excellent idea!) and I'll go get more drinking water and another couple gallons of chlorine.     

To quote the Governor of North Carolina, "prepare for the worst, pray for the best." 

Say when

fishpharmer

Fans are nice if air conditioning won't run on generator (i.e. central ac).  Handy to have tow straps and chains to move logs and other debri.  An inexpensive digital camera to document damage for insurance purposes.  Several pairs of work gloves to handle glass, metal roofing and other debris.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Larry

A few years ago we were without power for 11 days after an ice storm.  We went through 40 gallons of gas running the generator three times a day...just enough to keep food in the freezer and fridge. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kansas

I think I would put up plywood or something similar over the most vulnerable windows. Even some boards, wouldn't have to be perfect. Just cut the wind load on them. I assume unlike a tornado, hurricanes are straight line winds so you would probably only have to do 2 sides of the house and barn.

Years ago they decided to ban hurricanes in Kansas. We kept tornadoes around just for the sport of it.

Dan_Shade

hurricanes can spawn tornadoes, i've heard them called "microbursts".

but for the most part, the winds are from one prevailing direction.

Roxie

Quote from: Brucer on August 25, 2011, 01:07:27 AM

Have you got a tent in case the house is damaged?

We might be better off than most because we have a very heavy duty tarp that is used to cover tobacco on the flat trailer when it's hauled.  It was really expensive, but it paid for itself after just a few hauling trips.  If the house is damaged, we might be able to use the tarp to cover the house or we could live in it. 

The gas that I was mentioning is what is sitting in 5 gallon cans.  The car is full, the tractor is full, the mower is full, so that's another 25 gallons if we need it, and that doesn't even account for Bob's truck.  I sure don't want it to happen, but I wouldn't be hysterical if we lost our freezer stuff we have plenty of beef on the hoof ready to take it's place.  We might end up having the best neighborhood BBQ in the area.  The generator is primarily to handle the sump pump in the basement during the storm.

How about all you other guys in the projected path, are you getting ready? 
Say when

Buck

Ya know Roxie, here on the gulf coast we usually get a hit and see the results across a wide area. This storm is gonna skirt a heck of a lot wider area. Terrain is a lot different but wow there is a bunch of folks to be affected.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Radar67

Roxie, here are my tips from experience. We spent 17 days without electricity and 8 without water after Katrina. Those 8 days without water were the most miserable days a person could spend. The electric was not that big of an issue once the water was restored.

Bleach, 8 drops per gallon of clear water will make it safe to drink. (Double that and boil for cloudy water, think mud puddle water).
Fill the bath tubs with water for toilets and general sponge bath.
If you have a pond, you can use that water for toilets, but be prepared to use a lot of bleach afterwards to kill off algae and such. (you have to pour the bleach in the fill tube, not just the tank.)
If the electric is going to be out for an extended period, use as much of the food as you can from your freezers early. Keeping freezers running with generators is extremely expensive, if you can get the fuel. Expect long waits in line for fuel (hours).

When the storm is rolling in, follow the radio as much as possible. Keep to an interior room and away from windows. If you have any questionable trees, drop them now if you can.

Most people can keep busy while waiting for services to be restored, but always have something to keep you occupied, it will make the time more bearable and pass by quicker. Also, fans are like gold if it is hot, or a nice shade tree in a breeze.

We will keep everyone over there in our thoughts and prayers this weekend.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

All good ideas. I also agree you need more gas and water, maybe more propane too.  Dangs idea of freezing water is a very good one. We use gallon jugs filled almost to the top giving room for expansion when frozen.
What are your temps up there this time of year? 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

More water and cash. No electricity means no banking. Bar and two stroke oil for the chainsaw. Some files also. Good luck.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

a bandanna in case you need to go looting :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Bandana....check!!   8)

The temperature has been holding between 70 and 80 for the past two weeks.  We have lots of fans, plus vortex fans for drying things out once the power comes on.  I'm going to the library today and pick up a few books to keep me amused, and once this thing passes, I know Bob will be slammed helping everyone else out in the surrounding farms and our neighbors.  He and the guys from our neighborhood love nothing more than congregating around the garage.   :D

Right now, the predicted path is really varied as it goes through Pennsylvania.  Two computer paths take the eye to the west of us and most put the eye to the east.  If those to the west predictions come true, Ron could get some real action out of this.  Either way it goes, my son in Delaware is in the hot pink zone, and Delaware is so low in elevation. 

Our soil right now is saturated and we're getting more thunderstorms today. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!