iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well I never even thought about it

Started by Ernie, September 12, 2011, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

What a surprise, I went for my pre-op check at the hospital.  I'm having a minor procedure, My herniated belly button is being fixed.  I thought, one day for the op, one day being spoiled rotten by all the cute nurses in the ward,then  home and back to work.

"Sorry, you can't drive home, you need someone to transport you" Ok no problem

"Sorry, you can't do any lifting or tractor driving or sawmilling or basically anything worthwhile for 6 weeks."  Big problem, I have a list that Jan has given me which is at least 40 years long and it's springtime here and the vegie garden is crying out for lots of attention.

It's just as well the Rugby world cup is on here in New Zealand for the next six weeks  with 48 games in total and I will be forced to sit and watch it all.;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

submarinesailor

Ernie,

Please close attention to the no lifting.  I had the same thing fixed about 10 years ago and I'm fine.  But, a friend of mine had the same thing and didn't not.  He lifted something and opened himself up to the point it almost killed him.  Not a good thing to be holding your guts in your hands on the way to the hospital.  He is a very hard headed individual.  One of those, "my way or the highway" types.  He sure was wrong this time.

Bruce

Ernie

Thanks for the warning, the nurses said something similar which I took as a bit over the top. The someone else not me type of thing.

The hospital just called and I have been postponed until sometime in October so at least I now have time to organize my impending leisure without the guilt of jobs not getting done.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

DaveInVT

I just had the same surgery done on Sept 2nd. I was told I could not pick up anything heaver then a jug of milk for 4 weeks. It did not occur to me how many things I lift every day that are heaver. I can't empty the kitchen trash, pickup bags of cat/dog/chicken chow, empty the grass catcher on the lawnmower, go to the dump. These are everyday things that I now need someone to do for me. I am glad that I only have 2 more weeks to go. I did some planning ahead such as taking out the air conditioners before I had the operation but I should have though more about it and stocked up on the heavy items. The hard part is that I feel fine but have to stop myself from lifting things without thinking.
From what I understand from my DR is that if it reoccurs it will continue to reoccur, if I let everything heal without stressing the wound I will have a much greater chance of it not happening again.

The good thing was that they were able to use a local anesthesia and I was able to get out of the hospital quickly. I went into the OR at 8:00am and was leaving the hospital at 10:30am, home by 11:00.

Good luck with your operation and please do heed the doctor's advice and don't pick up anything heavy.

Thank You Sponsors!