iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey bee swarm

Started by 21incher, June 21, 2015, 09:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Yesterday outside my great room window it became black with swarming bees. They then settled into a dwarf apple tree about 30 feet from my house. The swarm was bigger then a basketball. We called a local beekeeper to catch them, but he could not make it here until this morning and they all took off 10 minutes before he arrived. I have never seen so many bees swarmed like that.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

wildbill

I still think it's neat when they swarm...just not when it's one of my hives.
Raider Bill's favorite son

Magicman

I once drove into a swarm of bees.  Instantly the windshield was completely covered and I was rolling the side window down to see where I was.  That was a very scary few seconds.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Seen them swarm here in September on a yard maple. The maple has a cavity that birds always nested in for years. They spent the winter, but didn't make it. Starved I would say, not enough time to store up honey. Then there was the time I had to smoke them out of the flu and then remove the honey comb.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

The bee keeper said I was lucky they didn't find a way into my house or barn because it would be tough to get them out, and it is against the law to use pesticides on honey bees. He also told me that the tree they spent the night in was now covered with bee pheromones and there is a good chance there will be another swarm landing in the same tree before long. I hope they found a safe place to live nearby because last year we had very few honey bees in the garden. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

We get them from time to time. This one was nice.

But we got them. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gww

I have never seen a swarm inperson in real life.  I was now looking pretty hard cause I built some hives I was hoping to fill.  I built my saw mill due to frustration of running out of reclaimed wood while building the hives.  I put out twelve traps this year but got no takers.  I am trying to line up a nuc hive but it is so late in the year that it might make sence to wait till next spring.  My start into bee keeping is getting a pretty slow start.
gww

Peter Drouin

Buy a jar of lemon grass oil, Put some at the door of your hive with a Q tip. And a swarm will move in . I don't buy nucs no more. With the oil there free. 8) 8) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

gww

peter
I did the lemon grass oil thing.  The only time the bees seemed interested was during cleansing flights before the flow started.  Haven't seen a bee near them since.  I bought a hive tonight cause I didn't want to go year two with the hives I built being empty.  It is a little late in the year but I got three mediums with built comb though not all full yet.  I keep the frames and give the boxes back.  $200 bucks. 

I did my best not to have to buy any but got not bees.  I will probly put the traps out again next year but was a bit dissapointed cause I made everything and really had no money in equiptment and thought I might get lucky and get started with labor only.

Now if they live through the winter I am in buisness.
gww

thecfarm

Peter,are those active hives in that building that you are walking to in that last picture? Lucky you saw that swarm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on June 23, 2015, 05:39:24 AM
Peter,are those active hives in that building that you are walking to in that last picture? Lucky you saw that swarm.

Yes, Have 2 made one more with the swarm. Got the two with the Lemon grass oil.
The building keeps the bears out of the hives. The outside of it is all clawed up. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

She's probably anchored good to. If them bears can't break in they can push stuff over.  ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 23, 2015, 03:06:06 PM
She's probably anchored good to. If them bears can't break in they can push stuff over.  ;D :D

6x6 4' in the ground. I have had them on top of it trying to rip the roof off . I just go out and tell to stop and get back in the woods. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Them bears know where to get the best honey from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Ann and I just filled 48 ½pints with spring honey. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

Good stuff.

Bears ain't stupid.  ;D ;) :D

WV Sawmiller

I understand they swell up with honey before leaving the hive to support them several days till settled so they are not really aggressive when swarming. They are easy to hive if you have a super with frames of wax, especially drawn out frames. Just ease the super under them (pull up with rope if on a high limb) and they will melt right down into it. Put on a top and bottom and set them in place and you are set.

I made the mistake at AU one time of capturing a large swarm in an ice chest. Was out collecting plants for a botany class and smelled the old honey smell of a bee tree and tracked them to a low limb on a sweetgum. Went back to my car and got the ice chest and an ax. Put the chest under them, whacked the limb and the bees fell in and I closed them up. Went and bought a hive body from a local beekeeper I had spotted. Dumped the bees in it, probably an hour or so had passed, and all were dead from the heat. Another lesson learned the hard way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 25, 2015, 08:38:59 AM
I understand they swell up with honey before leaving the hive to support them several days till settled so they are not really aggressive when swarming. They are easy to hive if you have a super with frames of wax, especially drawn out frames. Just ease the super under them (pull up with rope if on a high limb) and they will melt right down into it. Put on a top and bottom and set them in place and you are set.

I made the mistake at AU one time of capturing a large swarm in an ice chest. Was out collecting plants for a botany class and smelled the old honey smell of a bee tree and tracked them to a low limb on a sweetgum. Went back to my car and got the ice chest and an ax. Put the chest under them, whacked the limb and the bees fell in and I closed them up. Went and bought a hive body from a local beekeeper I had spotted. Dumped the bees in it, probably an hour or so had passed, and all were dead from the heat. Another lesson learned the hard way.

I don't know how many swarms you have put in a box, But to do it without smoke you will be stung. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

I've only hived a few and used no smoke and got no stings. Slow and easy was most important technique. Either I was living right or just lucky. Might not better try one now. My past might catch up with me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

One with the bees. Be a bee.  ;D 8)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 25, 2015, 07:29:57 PM
Peter,

I've only hived a few and used no smoke and got no stings. Slow and easy was most important technique. Either I was living right or just lucky. Might not better try one now. My past might catch up with me.

:D :D :D smiley_thumbsup

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 25, 2015, 08:03:00 PM
One with the bees. Be a bee.  ;D 8)

8) smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!