iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar rail grinding services

Started by Tacotodd, March 27, 2021, 06:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

Who besides Madsens offers bar grinding service? I have a one-off Cannon bar that needs some grinding done to it. My bar file will not not even touch the metal. 

Of course, it MIGHT need a new file 🤷‍♂️ 
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

You could probably get it done at a machine shop. I'd try a new file first though. You'll have to buy another eventually, so even if that's not the problem, money won't be wasted.

Real1shepherd

Used to be places all over the PNW that worked on bars. Few and far between now. I don't know about your state. It takes a fair amount of equipment to setup and work properly on bars. You can see a vid on YouTube of Rich Dougan's setup(the chainsaw guy).

There's an edge tool for snowboards that works perfectly on hardened bar edges. Mine came with a integral file & stone. Pretty cool...good snowboards have really hardened edges. My tool has some trendy logo that I can't even read. Looks like PED....but who knows.

A good flat stone with some honing oil will take down any steel.This kit has a nice flat stone too.Maybe one of our sponsors has something similar?

Kevin

Gearbox

PM me I will grind it on my on my bar grinder and ship it right back . Just pay the shipping both ways .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Larry

You can easily grind a bar on a common 6 X 48 belt sander.  A jig to keep the bar at 90 degrees would be helpful.

I grind my bars on a large edge sander which is sorta like a 6 X 48 on steroids.  After I do that I usually close the slot slightly with a homemade roller gadget.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mad Professor

Vertical belt sander will smooth the rails and make them perfectly square.  Finish it up with a file

Tacotodd

Quote from: Gearbox on March 27, 2021, 09:01:13 PM
PM me I will grind it on my on my bar grinder and ship it right back . Just pay the shipping both ways .

Gearbox, I'd take you up on it, but MN is a little far to ship from AR.

Larry & Mad, I don't have a belt sander, so back to square 1! I'll just order some replacement files for my tool.
Trying harder everyday.

tawilson

I've used a sanding disc on a radial arm saw. I might have used it on a table saw long ago too.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Old saw fixer

My mower blade sharpener has a bar grinding function built in.  The wheel is 90° to the table and the wheel guard is open at the bottom enough to slide a bar through.  I have dressed them on a bench grinder, too, just have to be careful with the rest angle to wheel.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

HemlockKing

The idea of sending my bar to someone to get it serviced is crazy to me, I'm no professional, but I've always been fine removing the bur with a flat file or if it's too much or the file wont get it(rare) I will kiss it with a flapper disc on a angle grinder.....my question to the guys who know..is this wrong to do it that way? I clamp he bar off the edge of a work bench and file it flat to the bar as possible
A1

kantuckid

I debur/clean up the edges my bars on a wood working spindle sander. Use as little pressure as does the job. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!