iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Chestnut Log

Started by Sawdust Lover, April 02, 2014, 10:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

I got a call from someone that they had a 27" chestnut log that blew over a few months ago. I questioned him if it was chestnut and he said he was sure it was because he remembered it when he was a kid. It died over 50 years ago and stood all this time. It was hard to saw it because I will never get another one like it but it looked like it was starting to rot at the trunk but it turned out to be better then I thought. 

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mrector

That is some nice stuff Bill! Was this the only log out of the standing dead tree or do you have more to mill up?
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

SwampDonkey

Nice find, apparently chestnut heartwood is fairly rot resistant.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dboyt

Chestnut is very rot resistant.  There has been a lot of work to develop a blight resistant strain, and seedlings are finally becoming available.  Maybe our grandchildren will have the opportunity to mill it and enjoy the nuts.  Meanwhile, that was a great find.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

diesel pap

they are long gone here in this part wv

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: mrector on April 03, 2014, 06:21:16 AM
That is some nice stuff Bill! Was this the only log out of the standing dead tree or do you have more to mill up?
Mikey
Hey Mikey, Welcome to the forum. I gave the limbs to some local wood turners. I have so much chestnut here at the mill I didn't need the branches.

Dave Shepard

I have only sawn two chestnut logs. Both were buried in the ground since the late 1800's. They each had a hole in the middle that was five auger bits wide for a cable to be attached. They were deadmen for a steam powered derrick at a quarry in my town. The sapwood was toast, but the heartwood was perfect. It's sad that we have lost it as an abundant forest tree, although there is someone in the area working with the Chestnut project, and they may be close to a disease resistant variety now.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!