iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GREEN FRESHSAWN LUMBER USAGE

Started by KDEC19, March 06, 2004, 03:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

hEY ALL I am looking for some input on projects that can be made from green fresh oak and pine, and some hickory.  I have made a bridge, mail box 9*9 cant!!  Have sawn some white oak wanted to make small deck.  If I do should I endcoat the logs before assembly?   was going to leave the rest a la natural. Thanks much
gonna do it again......

Corley5

Framed and sheathed my house with 100% freah cut big tooth aspen.  Cut the trees one day, sawed them the next and nailed the lumber up on the third day.  No problem just let it dry for a few months before I did any finish work inside.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KDEC19

THANKS MUCH THAT GIVES ME SOME WHERE TO START.  SUPRISED THAT THERE HAVE NOT BEEN MORE RESPONSES!
gonna do it again......

Minnesota_boy

Most of the time, I want nice dry lumber, but occasionally the time demands lumber right now and it gets used green.  I helped a neighbor build a pig barn and we needed some 18 foot 2X6's so we sawed a couple of his trees one day, sawed them the next morning and by evening they were trusses supporting steel roofing.  Being trussed they didn't have much unsupported length to sag and the purlins held the sway out of them.  Under the galvanixed roofing it got plenty warm to dry them quickly.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

I built a small barn out of red and white pine that I had sawed out that samw week. Only thing that did not come off the mill was the shingles. Used b&b to side it. Nailed the boards up tight and they ended up with about 3/4 of an inch between them but I used 1.5 inch bats so they stayed covered. Barn has held up real well and I may build another Big one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beav

I built my house with green lumber for the frame.Building it mostly myself, the wood had a chance to dry before drywall,etc were installed.If the inside will never be finished almost anything goes.The wood should be milled from equally green logs so the final shrinkage is similar, on same floor decks, or walls etc. Finish trim, siding, and interior trim you want dry. Or not,its your job :D

oakiemac

You guys that sawed your own lumber for houses- did you encounter any problems with code inspectors? I've been told that you have to use graded and stamped lumber for house construction.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Corley5

A little trouble but there wasn't mush he could do about it as the roughed in structure was up when he came out.  He wanted to know who had approved the permit and his partners signature was on it.  I'd listed aspen or popple as the material I was using and he signed it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beav

Back in '96 I don't think it was in the code in my rural 'burg.When the inspector showed up to check it out before closing in the walls, he was all compliments.I think he was expecting a crude shack.The price of the permit depended on the projected construction cost, and he thought I was ripping off the town with my way low guesstimate.But he came,he saw,he liked, and I got to saw some nice cherry and oak for him.
I did show him how I graded my own lumber. It was all hemlock, 'bout light as lead.It dries and shrinks around the nails.Forget pullin em out

Thank You Sponsors!