iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If this Walnut job was a Fishing Trip......I lost my Bass!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 11, 2013, 05:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Metal is ugly, but a fact of life in our line of work,  it can be done, just a cost,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

I know about the "no metal" thing.  I had a customer tell me there was no metal in a tree.  He was standing beside me when I hit the first nail.  When I pulled the slab off and showed him, he said "There were no nails in that tree!!!"  I guess he thought I spiked it to charge him for a band.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Fla._Deadheader

Why don't you guys get a junkyard car radiator electric fan. They are 12V so, a decent battery will run it for several hours. The electric start mills could even charge another battery while y'all are sawing.  smiley_thumbsup_grin
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fishpimp

On good days round here we saw a thousand ft before lunch and head to the river after!hahahah hope this helps keep ur chin up and saw running!

fishpimp

A bad day 

of sawing is not better than a good day feeshn!!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG FP....rub it in.  :D :D :D Put the same picture twice.  :D :D :D

That's 1 proud young man! Give him a pat on the back for me.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sawdust Lover

At first I thought you found a quarter in the log.  ???

GAB

POSTONLT40HD:
This post has been very educational for me.  Can some one tell me what all types of logs will change color on the cross cut and show blue or purple if they have metal in them?  Last summer in the third or fourth pass I hit a lag bolt in a pine log.  The blade was history.  As an FYI I charge $10.00 and the cost of the blade when I use them as a metal detector.  The $10.00 is to cover some of the lost production time.
Metal is one reason why I like to unload the logs from the customer's trailer or whatever directly onto the mill and saw them with the owner present.  I once told a customer that I thought that I had hit 2 nails.  He turned over the slab and told me I had hit 3 of them.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

woodandtractors

Maybe the field that tree was in was a magnetic field!
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

maple flats

I use an electronic metal detector before using the saw as a detector. I've still hit a couple since I got the electronic one. One was porcelain insulator with a lag bolt that got missed, another had a whole bunch of tiny nails (3P?) and the detector missed them too. Other than that I've been lucky. I can detect over 8" deep and my Peterson can only cut 8" deep, good match.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!