iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting started on the winter logging

Started by Quebecnewf, January 07, 2019, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

I can cut 16' long .dont do much longer than that very often. Mostly 8/10/12'

thecfarm

Snow here is starting to melt. But go an hour,in either direction and it changes. From not much to alot. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I went out and sawed some 6x6 and 5x5 for some timber frame sheds I'm going to build.
Some fir,hemlock and spruce.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Quebecnewf

Well i guess this is the final post on this thread . We went in today and took down our little bush camp.

It only takes about 30 min to go from this

To this

And finally to this . All covered and racked up until next winter . 

725 logs this winter so the most we have ever cut in one season.

Stopped at winter cabin and closed that up for the season on or way home . Just got back for about an hour and a snow storm moved in . 

Quebecnewf 

hacknchop

I really enjoyed this post and I'm looking forward to the getting started on the spring and summer sawmilling thread .     Thank you 
Often wrong never indoubt

dgdrls

Congratulations on a great season, smiley_thumbsup
really enjoy reading this thread.

D

Quebecnewf

As you can see our ice bridge to the mainland is getting narrow . Still lots of people traveling on it . Our snowmobile trail is still open in this area but some sections to the east are closed now . Spring is late this year .

We have been sawing up some of our slabs for firewood . Not the most fun I've had but it has to be done 

Quebecnewf 

Ron Scott

Is your timber harvesting done on crown lands or other ownerships?
~Ron

Magicman

Thank you for sharing your Winter logging operation.  I look forward to it each year.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I too very much enjoyed this thread.  Grew up on a Ski-doo, river crossings, ice fishing, dodging slush, etc so it brings back many fond memories.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gaproperty

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 06, 2019, 05:14:32 AM
I've cut a few birch logs over the years and it really makes you appreciate the difference between guys who log mostly softwood (me) and the guys who work in mostly hardwoods. It's a whole different ballgame . They are heavy , and when you deal with birch in winter , slippery .

I have cut many trees in my life and approach them all with care . Birch I approach with extra care . They can be really tricky to fall with all those large limbs sticking out every which way .

My hat is of to guys that hand cut hardwoods all day for a living . Some of those big maples and oaks I have seen would be a big pucker job for me .

Stay safe guys

Quebecnewf
They can be very dangerous and hard to tell which way they want to fall.  Here is a big birch I cut a couple weeks ago.  dangerous tree cutting
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

gaproperty

I don't watch much T.V. I would much sooner read great threads like this.  Awesome.  It's 9a.m. and I am still not in the woods but after reading this tread I am very motivated to go so I will catch you later.   

great job.  
thanks
Ray

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Thank You Sponsors!