iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tension

Started by MrMoo, May 18, 2004, 01:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Hi Folks,
Someone recently told me that the Munkforsager blades are low tension blades similar to the ones sold by Suffolk Machine.
Does anyone know if this is true?
I have run some Monkey blades and ran the tension right up there like I normally would and didn't have any problems.

Thanks,
Mike

shopteacher

I set mine same as woodmizer, no problem.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

smwwoody

I set mine like suffolk and they saw great
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Rod

I have tires for bandwheels so I have no idea what the tension is,but the Munkforsager blades cut fine.I was using the .042 and now I have been using the .045 red streaks and they cut great also.My mill runs best with .045 blades

Swede

Have been told that Suffolk/ Håkansson blades for my sawmill needs 500KP and Munkfors 800KP between the weels. Have no gauge or hydraulic, just a screw and turn it untill I can play a clear note on the blade. (Someone said the note "D" is right.  Probably his blades on his saw mill or a joke. :D )

I have about the same tension but have to adjust the Munkfors up some after some cuts or get wavy boards, particular from knotty logs. I think Suffolk is more elastic, the Munkfors cuts more exact. Can´t say if one is better than the other.  :-/
Both get dull after some hours............. ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

slowzuki

Many people compare the PSI gauges for the hydraulic tension on different mills.  Unless that gauge has a special scale or the hydraulic cylinder is about 0.8" diameter, those numbers don't tell you the lbs of tension on the blade.

For the psi reading to be meaningful to a different mill owner one would need to know the tensioning cylinder diameter.

Ken

MrMoo

Thanks folks,
It sounds like running the Monkey blades at the same tension as other blades is fine. I found that to be ok too and I questioned it when someone told me to run them at a lower tension.

DR Buck

When I ordered my blades from Kenne-Saw, they told me to run them the same as Wood-Mizer.  Been doing that and getting great results.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!