iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GET RICH........slowwwwwwwwww

Started by Bigdogpc, May 26, 2004, 03:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

My first time out to try and see if'n I could sell some wood...mostly we've been cuttin and sittin' on it.  I stopped in at a place that rebuilds pallets, the guy is chompin at the bit for 1.25x3.25x48 oak stringers.  He'll pay .35 each for them...with my SHARP pencil...and free logs...and LOTS of luck...I MIGHT be able to give him the 2000 a week he wants.  All of this excitement begs the question what NEEDS to be asked...can them Lucas mills really make the production they claim?  If'n you were looking at pallet wood as an income, wouldn't a Lucas or Peterson be the way to go over a bandmill?

Thanks to all!  I may NEVER get over my newbee status

I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest here.  I figure I have a shot at the free logs but might have trouble with the production on a manual bandmill.  I'm just lookin' for suggestions.

beenthere

If I was doing the figurin', and going with a real sharp pencil, I would figure in 'some' cost for the logs - either pulpwood price, low grade price from a local mill, or stumpage.  Those free logs may disappear real fast if you are invested in a mill, start making some money off of them, and all at once they come with a price tag and you have to find a supply of non-free logs. But that is me (and I don't have a mill so go figure that one  ;D ).  Good luck on your endeavor.
Try to not get caught having to meet a production deadline, and then sawing high quality logs into the pallet product just to meet the volume contracted. Lots of tie mills get caught up in that game (I think some tie buyers plan it that way) and have to saw No. 1 saw and veneer logs up, just because they need to, to make the orders. It happens.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin_H.

hey bigdog if'n I'm figuring right that like 26 cents a board foot...and that is way cheap.

I haven't cut any pallet wood in a couple of months, but the last stringers I sent out where 1 1/8" x 3 1/2" x 48" and we were getting .51 cents a pc.

I think that you should be getting more like 53 cents a pc for your stringers, I believe that works out to about 39 cents a board foot.

I also agree that you should look at these numbers as if you were haft'n to buy the logs.

BTW we cut our stringers on a band mill.   ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kedwards

I can cut 600-800bf a day of that dimension with my Lucas. If you do that 5 days a week at .26 a bf you are grossing 156-208 a day of hard labor. I wouldn't do it for less than 350-400 a day gross(before uncle sam has his way with your pay) that works out to .58 a BF min. which is what the high production mills around here will cut or around .60 a thousand green.  Is it suppose to be hardwood stringers or softwood? If hardwood count on buying because the free logs run out fast when you are cutting for someone else. Hardwood stumpage values run 150-250 a thousand here in Nc locally for smaller hard to cut on lucas mill logs. The larger than 36" red oak logs you might get cheap because many bandmills hate em and most 36" bandsaws have to split em first.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Neil_B

Don't forget to add in your time to cut the stringers to length they require. I'm doing pallet stuff right now and it is really as your title suggests.

I'm getting 0.79 per piece up here for 1.25 x 3.5 x 40. I figure all my pallet stock around .65 - .70 per bdft. Some stuff I make a decent profit, others, not much.
BTW, I'm resawing hardwood cores from other mills (4x4's) which I have to pay anywhere from 350 - 380 mbdft.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

luke

Hi Bigdog,

we have a manual band sawmill and if we wanted to increase our production we probably would consider getting a edger and band resaw with a poor mans grade run around for about $12,000.00, that Kent makes. From our estimations production may be 5,000-10,000 board feet a day with 2 men resawing cants. But these are only estimations from the video tape we saw. You can get a band resaw for a cheaper price with out the grade run around, probably about $7,000.00 for a resaw.

Luke
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Captain

Well you see, Bigdog, it all depends....

How big are your typical logs?  (Diameter and length)
It takes alot of muscles and/or equipment to handle a 24" 16 foot long oak.  But I would sure rather cut it on a swinger rather than try to turn that thing over and over again.

How many folks helping you?  When I am in a rhythm on the Peterson in a big log, I could cut a 1 1/2 x 4 x 8feet every 10 seconds or so in Oak, faster if I'm in a hurry.   Sure keeps the support folks running.

I would have to agree, free logs don't seem to last that long when you really need them for production.  Also, at that price each piece, you would be selling for about 5 cents more than the logs would cost me.  Not nearly enough for fuel, operating expences, and labor to trim, stack, bundle, deliver....

Hope these thoughts help ::)

Captain

steveo_1

Bigdog, what pallet company you selling to? Thats the same price a guy gave me for them stringers, it sounded good at first but thats alot of work cutting them things.Seems like you handle more than you cut.We have a bandmill and can cut alot of em when its STOPS raining!!! I think im gonna look around for a different pallet company and see what they pay.
got wood?

Bigdogpc

Thanks for all the answers!  I had pretty well figured this whole deal was on the cheap side but I kept hoping I could sharpen my pencil more...It seemed like more production capability might make it work out a little more in my favor.

Yup, the free trees might dry up and I could be in a real bind.  I would hate cuttin my "good" logs for pallet wood.

The folks on this forum is whut makes it great!  Thanks a lot for the inputs!

Rod

Maybe you could call some of the local mills and see what they have for sale.

Here you can buy a 1000 feet of mixed hardwood for $225,mostly 1x6's tho that maybe you could resaw and sale to the pallet people.

Maybe if the sawmill knew you would be a regular customer they might give you a better deal then someone walking off the street.

Fla._Deadheader

Being as how we don't get much Oak, we are getting MANY requests for dump truck bed top extension boards, 2 X 10 X 8-10 feet long. Also getting requests for trailer decking, up to 20' long.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tracy

Fla- thats what live oak is good for if you have that around. I wont sell it for less than $2 bf ft.. After cutting some you'll think that cheap :D

Fla._Deadheader

You actually get $2.00 bdft??? We have sawn some Live Oak, to 24" wide.
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

how many blades did you go through? :D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

Only used 1 Monkey Saver blade for a 200 bdft log. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Rod

What about just building the pallets yourself :)all you would need is a saw ,hammer and some nails......and someone to buy the pallets 8)

Thank You Sponsors!