iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 17, 2011, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This was just now on the news out of Charlotte, N.C. that their state is bracing itself for the Asian Emerald Ash Borer.
I live 20 minutes south of the N.C. state line. I'll be keeping my eye out for this "bug".
Lots of Ash trees down here.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Patty

Our state is right on top of this crisis, by golly. I am not sure that any of these bugs are in our state yet, and if they are, it is not in abundance. Our wonderboys in the state government decided that just in case the EAB does enter our state, that they should go ahead and cut down all the ash trees now, just to be ahead of the game.  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

red oaks lumber

yup, the bug might not kill em but, the chainsaw sure will ;D
stupid is stupid does :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

No sign of them in this area yet, but they've been found down state and out in the western end of the state.

Quite a few people have been cutting ash in this area, worried about the EAB coming in.

Walking through the woods, I've noticed a lot of Ash seedlings anywhere from knee high to head high!

I think nature is already working on replacing the trees that the EAB's will get and the ones that get cut as well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

Here in Ohio the ash trees are dying evry day, I was in Defiance Ohio yesturday and there about all dead in that area. North of U.S.30 there about all dead, this summer alone I have around forthy dead in my woods. Theres ten of thousands of feet for sale around here but the market is so dead that Iam not interested in buying any of it. Now the division of forestry are telling land owners that theres not much use planting walnuts because they believe the walnut canker will get them in the next few years. Ive cut nothing but dead white and swamp white oak this summer. I wonder what the future will be in forestry in our area. Dosen't look good but maybe Iam only seing one side of the whole picture
Bill

ahlkey

The problem with this bug of course is it includes vigorous, young trees to established, mature trees. The Emerald Ash Borer larvae tunnel just under the bark so while seedlings a few feet high might be spared for a while time is not on their side as long as the EAB is around, and with out larger trees to produce those seedlings the species will be gone.  The EAB has moved into the state but so far have not reached here but over the next few years I plan on  harvesting more mature Ash trees to reduce stand density than I would normally do given this HUGE problem.

miking

The thing is, there are also native ash borers that are green and do kill ash trees, just not as vigorously as the EAB. Cutting ash trees prior to confirmed EAB presence is putting the cart before the horse.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!