iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you set points?

Started by Mac 6-10, November 01, 2013, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac 6-10

Ok so I have always set point in a static fashion of manual says .020 so that's where I set them. my 6-10 has just been very underpowerd lately. if fells like it has less power than the 10-10. the tune is right on and the spark is great and running fresh mix. I figured the spark timing may be out so I pulled the flywheel to see if the points had closed up after the break-in. (new points) they where still at a great .018 as the tune up spec. I downloaded the shop manual and read through the ignition section and they don't even state using feeler gauges but using an analog multimeter to set the exact opening of the points. I found the points to be closed .004 from dead on 26' BTDC.  this way was much simpler and much more accurate than a feeler gauge. was Mcculloch the only saw manufacturer that did timing this way?
McCulloch Super 6-10 Automatic
McCulloch 10-10 Automatic
Poulan 4200
Echo CS-400

Did the Lord say that machines ought to take the place of living, then whats a substitute for bread and beans? Do engines get rewarded for their steam? Johnny Cash, Legend of John Henry's Hammer.

ladylake

If it still has a muffler screen check it for being clogged, really takes the power away if clogged.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Mac 6-10

Quote from: ladylake on November 01, 2013, 06:13:47 PM
If it still has a muffler screen check it for being clogged, really takes the power away if clogged.   Steve

nope no screen on a saw this old. I will get it in some wood sunday and see if there is a considerable difference or not. I am optimistic as this is the first time I have timed an engine in this fashion.
Poulan 4200
Echo CS-400

Did the Lord say that machines ought to take the place of living, then whats a substitute for bread and beans? Do engines get rewarded for their steam? Johnny Cash, Legend of John Henry's Hammer.

sawguy21

That is the ideal method, it allows for errors with the feeler gauge.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

nmurph

Saw Dr.

What you are actually setting with the points is the exact time when the points open.  When they open, the magnetic field in the primary circuit of the coil collapses, and a current is induced into the secondary circuit which fires the spark plug.  The degree method is by far the most accurate.  The point setting with a feeler gauge (on most points anyway) is a good estimation of the proper timing if everything is in order.  Take into consideration a little wear on the points rubbing block, the crank cam, and the point contacts, and you could be several degrees off on timing.  It might be worth trying an electronic coil on there just to make sure you have an ignition issue, if you can borrow one.  I am a big fan of points myself.  There is little more rewarding than a big fat blue spark when just rolling the engine over by hand. 
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Jeff

Quote from: nmurph on November 02, 2013, 08:16:24 PM

Alt + 0176 makes the ° sign.

You can also just click on the provided in the posting box to make it appear as well.  :) °
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

First off if this is a repeat please over look because I post on many sites .

The 6-10 Mac is kind of in a class all by itself ,it was only made for a short while. This thing is most likely the hottest running saw of 70 cc's McCulloch ever made .

If you set the points wide maybe 20 thou and get the advance up to about 30 ahead you won't believe how yhat thing will run .30 advance is just a hairs breath away from kicking back on you .You can do it with a timing wheel if you like .

The one I have which is on Mike Acres site will free rev at 15,600 rpm .

Mac 6-10

Cut up an 18" walnut on sunday and between the ignition timing too late and the tune being alittle too fat it now runs like it should. Lots of power.
Poulan 4200
Echo CS-400

Al_Smith

I'm not picking on anyone who prefers solid state over points .However the Mac 6-10 will disprove anybodys theory that solid state will out rev or out accelerate a points type ignition.They are just a tad bit more tricky to set up is all . ;)

mad murdock

I think in a lot of respects, the old McC points ignition is more reliable and field serviceable than electronic.  Probably cheaper for the manufacturer to build a saw with solid state over points, less parts, and simpler machining process, no timing lobe to machine on the crank, would be my guess as to why, besides the "keeping uo with the Joneses" trap that manufactureres seem to get caught in at times. Glad you got the 6-10 purring again!  Those are great saws.  I will have to settle for my PM700, unless I come across an older 7-10 or 6-10.  Love the 10 series!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

The 700 is a good old saw .I think what makes the 6-10 a cut above is it uses three transfer tunnels instead of two like the 700. I had a 7-10 once but I never had it apart to see inside it .

Thank You Sponsors!