iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Game Of logging Class listings 2019 (Northeast)

Started by Old Greenhorn, January 06, 2019, 06:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

This question comes up during the year, so I thought I would make a post listing to go-to points for these class listings. The individual websites should update as the year goes on and they add classes. I have nothing to do with these, just posting it to save others time or get their questions answered:

Catskill Forest Association: (Ulster, Green, Delaware counties).
 https://catskillforest.org/events/list/

NYC Watershed: (ulster Green, Delaware, and others)
https://www.nycwatershed.org/forestry/education-training/logger-forester-training/class-listings/

Vermont: (all?)
Courses
(This last one I know will get updated through the year with many new classes, if you are looking, keep checking back.)

There are others, but they don't have much up yet, I will add them when they do. Personally, I am looking for a GOL3 and a storm damage class near to Ulster County, NY in the spring (I am signing up for the one in October, but would rather do the spring) if your company is sponsoring one I could sneak in to, I would appreciate knowing about it. OR if you just know of one of these, please pass it along.
Everybody play safe,
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Yes, that should be all of the courses in VT. You've linked to the site of Northeast Woodland Training, the folks who actually do the training in VT. The way they operate is they'll put on a class when an individual or sponsoring organization approaches them to do it. It's generally up to that individual or organization to find the participants. Some sponsoring organizations choose not to have their classes publicized on this site - generally when the classes are not open to the public.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

@Old Greenhorn -

If you are still looking for a GOL 3 this spring, there is one in Dushore PA on May 5, 2019. Probably further than you want to travel (3-4 hours from you?)

Info here: NTHA Training/Events It's being taught by Kevin Snyder (from Pleasantville, PA)
It's also the lowest cost I've seen advertised.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you have a friend out that way you want to visit or something.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up! I did find a class here somewhat locally that I am signed up for in October so I am in good shape. I will go nearly anywhere for good training and knowledge I think I need. If it required a long drive and a motel I would just have to figure that out in the budget.
 We have added a class here in the Catskills for logger rescue on June 1st. I think the class is nearly full but there might be a space or two available. That class is more flexible on class size, unlike GOL. If anyone has an interest, contact me and I will give the contact info. i have to say thanks to @BargeMonkey because I was looking for this and he had some contacts and we put a class together. Another case of FF folks coming together for the cause. It does not run in our state very often, and when it does it is usually reserved for folks that pay dues and belong to a 'certain organization' that a lot of independent cutters don't belong to.
 Thanks again for the head's up!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

John Mc

@Old Greenhorn - do you have a description or a link for more information on that Logger Rescue class? I can't make June 1, but I may want to look in to a future class, or perhaps tying to get it offered in my area.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: John Mc on April 28, 2019, 08:13:49 PM
@Old Greenhorn - do you have a description or a link for more information on that Logger Rescue class? I can't make June 1, but I may want to look in to a future class, or perhaps tying to get it offered in my area.
Let me do some searching, I am sure I will find the same thing you will. I'll get back to you.

Old Greenhorn

Funny, bit as hard as I look, I can't find a course description anywhere. Here is the listing for the class I am taking, it's offered around NYS. I am an EMT an was a Fire Service Officer and have a lot of rescue experience and we are in a rural area. This class, as I understand it covers mostly extrication of victims and also should cover some of the things that non-rescue personnel do not think of (SAMPLE , vitals, etc.). The loggers on a crew are in the best position to execute a quick intervention and extricate a victim before a rescue squad can even arrive. I believe that is the focus of this class. It should be all hands on with emphasis on how to get some body out of a bad situations, packaged and transported. Sorry, that's the best I can do. It is offered also in VT and PA. I think the official is "critical response to Logging incidents' or something like that.

Thank You Sponsors!