iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Mine settles in quite nicely at about 2800. :) If it drops below 2500, then a blade has heated up and gets changed.  I have no concern about blowing anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

That ain't nuthin....I wound up my TK so tight the needle fell off. :-[  Works better that way anyhow. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

There is absolutely no harm in running a WM with the needle buried. It is totally psychological. When my '08 was delivered, I was told to bury the needle, and that WM had done a lot of research on blade tension and what was really going on, that they had completely changed their advice. I think the only reason that there is any color ranges on the gauge now is because they must have bought about a 100,000 gauges years ago and haven't run out of them yet. :D People are worrying that it is too much tension, and they are going to wear something out sooner, but they aren't taking into consideration that for years people have been running too little tension. Or think of it this way. It's like Arnold Schwarzenegger bench pressing 10 pounds for years, then one day he starts benching 12 pounds. Not going to strain the system. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

After a few years of running, an ole timer told me to max it out, I did have reservations, but started to tweek it, now it is a norm, re-sharpes I run a lil less though,  just me. every log is different, and conditions change.  I trust the gauge, and blade performance.   If a blade is going to fail, might as well get it over with, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Larry on May 10, 2014, 09:11:21 PM
That ain't nuthin....I wound up my TK so tight the needle fell off. :-[  Works better that way anyhow. ;D

:D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2014, 08:53:02 PM
Mine settles in quite nicely at about 2800. :) If it drops below 2500, then a blade has heated up and gets changed.  I have no concern about blowing anything.

Having the blade "settle" is a good description of how I tension blades, too.  I'll initially tension it up near 2,800 to 3,000 and let it warm up, make a readjustment, and then seems like each blade like to run where it likes to run.  As long as it's cutting good and fast with no waves or vibration, I'll just keep sawing. This blade was a Mesharp on the last log of a an easy 600 bdft maple run, and was still behaving nicely when I took it off. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thechknhwk

Replaced leaky hard to control plastic valve at the jug with a nice positive shut off ball valve, and an inline needle valve to control the flow.  It's my LT35 lube-mizer, patent pending..

Brucer

My "poor-man's" lubemizer consists of a solenoid valve (WM spare part) that opens whenever the drum switch is set to the forward position, plus a simple on-off switch on the control panel (where the laser switch would normaly go) that over-rides the solenoid and keeps it off.

I usually leave the plastic valve on the tank set to where-ever it was at the last time I used it. If I want lube, a flick of the on-off switch will activate the system. The solenoid valve turns off the flow when the carriage is stopped or returning.

No reaching anymore except to change the flowrate.

I like the idea of a needle valve to get finer control over the flow.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

I've added the fine adjustment lube flow valve to mine, about 2 years ago.

I have the main valve on the lube jug, then about 2-3 inches out into the line I installed the fine adjust valve.

I open the main valve (on the jug), then adjust the fine adj valve to the desired flow, I just turn the lube on and off with the main valve!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

When I replumbed the lube system I didn't add a needle valve but did add a "T" and a 1/4 turn valve for breeding the system. No more waiting for the water to make it back thru the system and as a bonus I have found it use full for washing hands as well ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

LeeB

So, did it throw blue jugs or white ones?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Shotgun

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on May 25, 2014, 01:13:51 PM

When I replumbed the lube system I didn't add a needle valve but did add a "T" and a 1/4 turn valve for breeding the system.

This may need additional explanation.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

backwoods sawyer

Others have mentioned they added a needle valve to control the flow I did not do that but I did make a change by adding a "T" just before the pump so when I toss a fresh jug up there I hook up the hose open the main quarter turn valve and the valve to the bleeder hose that runs down and away from everything and lets the air out of the system so the pump has water to pump. I also use medical "oxegen hose" to run from the pump to the other side of the sawhead where I use the slip connect end so I can seperate it and purge the pump reconect and insure spayers are clear. I have spent considerble time bleeding the old system, and this works much faster big time saver and as a bonus open the bleeder hose and wash your hands as needed.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Well, My Bearing Support Kit came in for the mill today.
I will put it on next week. Looks easy , Maybe  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I was going to ask you if you got yours yet. I haven't ordered mine yet. You get to be the Guinea Pig. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I have to see If I have a new drive belt. To change the belt later you have to take the whole thing apart :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bibbyman

Does on old man proud to see new mods added to this topic now over 10 years old. 

I'm not making many mods these days.  It's enough work to keep fixing up my old equipment.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

petefrom bearswamp

Way to go Bibby.
I have done quite a few from this thread.
Lately the nozzles on my lube mizer have been clogging so I just took them out and let the stuff gurgle out of the orifices under pressure .
Actually get more on the blade this way as the nozzles sprayed way past the blade and this method doesn't seem to use any more lube/coolant.
A jug lasts most all day
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

This is what I got from Wood Mizer.

Will see how it goes  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

That looks very similar to the bearing setup on the bottom of the Debarker which is also designed to remove the side loading from the motor bearing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Bibby
This is the best and probably the most usefull thread on the site IMO.

That not to say there are not a lot of good threads on here but if we put it to a vote I think this one would come in as the overall top thread.

cept maybe for the food one? ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WDH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 12, 2014, 12:37:31 PM

At least it is not a grease gun  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have added several items to this thread, and I have also gleaned several ideas that I have adapted for my own use.  :P

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on September 12, 2014, 08:18:43 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 12, 2014, 12:37:31 PM

At least it is not a grease gun  ;D.

My grease gun has a battery  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

Next time I am at Danny's I will have to look at his grease gun. I think he is worrying about it to much.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!