iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished My Log Arch

Started by dmartin, November 03, 2009, 11:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmartin

I just finished building the new log arch and took some pictures to post here. The little 790  John Deere can drag some big logs but has a little trouble lifting them with the 3 pt hitch when the logging winch is attached. The arch can now handle the weight of the log so dragging the logs to the mill should be much easier. The arch is made out of 4" x 1/4" tubing with 3" x 1/4" tubing for the boom. I used 3/8" plate for the gussets and the wheels are from the rear end of a Dodge minivan. I hope to try it out this weekend if I don't need to work the weekend.

fishpharmer

Dmartin, that log arch looks great.  I especially like the color. ;) 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sprucebunny

Good job !

I'll be looking forward to some pictures from the woods.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Burlkraft

I would be very, very careful ...............

If beenthere see's that it might vanish  :o  :o  :o

Those are his colors for sure  :D  :D  :D

Nice construction job  8)  That's a fine lookin' arch   ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

Nice job!
Wish I could keep my shop that neat and orderly. I'm a shop slob.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RSteiner

I tooks like the finished product should work as good as it looks.  8)

After looking at the nice paint job you've done you have shamed me into thinking about painting mine.   ::)

Randy
Randy

Magicman

Good job and great color scheme.  John Deere should copy it..... :D

You did it with that Lincoln stick welder?  Nice looking shop..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Yep, that green paint doubled its value  ::) ::)   ;D ;D

I like it, but think I'd have to level my wood trails to be able to use it.

Anxious to see a pic of the combo.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tonto

Nice looking unit there dmartin. Also can't wait to see pics of it in use with the tractor. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

James P.

that is a nice arch, looks like its built to last, personally I would sandblast it and paint it flambeau  red and desert sand just in Case someone sees you using it  ;)paint your tractor while your at it  :o ;D :D

John Mc

Nice arch!

I'm also interested in what appear to be two different hitch methods hanging just below the boom in the first picture. How are you attaching those to your arch? I've got a old trailer I use for firewood with a tractor-style pin hitch on it now. I've been debating converting it to a 2" ball, so I can tow it with a road vehicle, but that's a bit of a hassle when I'm using it with the tractor. Being able to swap back and forth easily would be a plus.

Is there someone hiding behind that same hitch adapter in the third picture?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jander3

Very nice.   Looking forward to seeing the arch with a load.

dmartin

Yeah I like the color too, I know that the green paint made it alot tougher and if John deere wants to copy the color it's ok with me. The shop's not always that clean but I do clean up  between projects, it didn't look too good about an hour before I took the pictures. I didn't get to try it out this weekend because I had to work late in Virginia Friday night and had to be at the cabin early Saturday morning to change the title of an old dump truck that I sold so I drove directly to the cabin and didn't stop at home to pick up the log arch.
Majicman, congradulations on winning the award for the CFA I'm sure it took alot of hard work by all involved to be considered the best county forestry assn. in the state of Mississippi. I did weld it all with the stick welder, that is all I use and it gets the job done. I don't weld as well as I did a few years ago because I can't see up close as well as I used to. The bifocals work well for reading but It's hard to weld while trying to look through the bottom of your glasses. I weld without my glasses and can see up close well but if I can't get to within about 1 foot or less with the welding helmet I can't see the puddle and the welds don't look as good as they used to. Maybe I need a pair of reading glasses just for welding.
John Mc the hitch is 2" square tubing made for using a hitch pin or a 2" ball, that way I can use it with the tractor or the truck and the ATV. The reciever with the ball coupler slides over the 2" tubing and is stored on an old hitch that I welded to the side of the arch, that way I won't lose it, and no there is no one hiding in the 3rd picture, it is just the back tire that you see. Thanks for all the nice comments and when I use the arch with the tractor I'll get some more pictures. Thanks again.   

Magicman

Quote from: dmartin on November 08, 2009, 08:37:39 PM
I weld without my glasses and can see up close well but if I can't get to within about 1 foot or less with the welding helmet I can't see the puddle and the welds don't look as good as they used to. Maybe I need a pair of reading glasses just for welding.

Check with your welding supply shop.  They make "reading glasses" inserts that go behind the shaded lense on your helmet.  You can get them different strengths to match your eyes. 1.25, 1.5 1.75, 2.0 etc.  They work great.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Looks good, now head to the woods and take pictures of it with some trees under it.

dmartin

Magicman, thanks for the info. I'll look for the welding helmet inserts the next time I get to the welding supply store.

Magicman

Quote from: dmartin on November 19, 2009, 09:42:17 PM
Magicman, thanks for the info. I'll look for the welding helmet inserts the next time I get to the welding supply store.

I was wondering when you were going to see   :o  this..... :D

rickywashere

same here would be nice to see a log under it :)

dmartin

When was I going to "see" this, good one. I finally got the time to take the log arch up to the cabin and try it out. It works well except for a small problem with tongue weight when pulling the log. I have a pulley mounted forward of the axels with the winch cable going through the pulley, around the log and hooked to a short piece of chain mounted toward the rear of the axels. When pulling the log the cable sways to the rear and the weight transfers to the chain (anchor point) causing the tongue to try to lift. I think that if I move the chain forward of the axels (to the front side of the arch) the log weight will stay on the tongue. I had to use the differential lock in order to drag the logs and the tires were spinning more than I would like to see. I think if I would have had the 740 lb winch mounted on the 3 pt hitch and the arch hooked to that, the traction would have been great. But I want to be able to use the arch with or without the winch. If I get time tomorrow I'll weld some short chains forward of the axels to keep more weight on the tongue which should help with the traction.

John Mc

As you mentioned, keeping weight on the tongue should help. Also, are your rear tires filled? Liquid fill or tire weights will help your traction.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

dmartin

John Mc, I had been planning to fill the rear tires with antifreeze for awhile and I finally got around to this morning. It helped with the traction alot. With the winch mounted on the back traction is not an issue and most of the time when I will be using the log arch the winch will be on the tractor. After loading the tires I welded some short pieces of chain (anchor points) toward the front of the boom which also helped. I'm now satisfied with the arch and after painting the new welds I'll call it done.

Magicman

I like that tractor.  I see that they painted it the same color as your arch........ :D

BARPINCHER

A cheap trick I use as needed is fill that loader bucket up with anything you can scoop.  Cuts down on having to use steering brakes as much plus the front end pulls.  Them R-4  tires are horrible in the woods.  I have them and made a set of chains up to help.
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Lud

Y'know that's why  they have right/ left rear brakes............o you can steer when your front tires are in the air!

Good looking job.  Be careful you don't waste an hour in the woods trying to turn around with a too long log on the arch........like I did tonite. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!