iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Testing

Started by brettl, April 04, 2014, 12:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I've rebuilt engines where the problem and fix were obvious. Now I've accumulated well over a dozen saws that don't run for various reasons. I'd like to learn how to do pressure and vacuum tests and the tools necessary. I'd really appreciate any direct advice or referrals to good recourse material. Thank you

Coreytroy

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jiles

You could do it the "red neck" way LOL. I don't know if any of you have done this but I have found many leaks, over the years, with a soap solution!
I haven't done this in years but it is simple and works.
You can use the internal crankcase pressure if you remove spark plug and spin the motor over while applying a strong solution of dish soap and water to the outside surface of the seal. Any leak of pressure will create bubbles. Of course if you work on a lot of two stroke engines, as I now do, you are much better with a kit.
This is easy to do on the sprocket side of the saw but on the flywheel side, you have to remove the flywheel and spin the motor with an electric drill. Install a spacer before attaching flywheel nut to prevent it from jamming.
OK---go ahead and laugh but it works in a pinch !! Not 100% but sometimes good enough!
Satisfy needs before desires

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

brettl

Thanks for the replies. Giles, I get a lot of things done and done right with redneck ingenuity. ;)

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Jiles on April 05, 2014, 05:55:45 PM
You could do it the "red neck" way LOL. I don't know if any of you have done this but I have found many leaks, over the years, with a soap solution!
I haven't done this in years but it is simple and works.
You can use the internal crankcase pressure if you remove spark plug and spin the motor over while applying a strong solution of dish soap and water to the outside surface of the seal. Any leak of pressure will create bubbles. Of course if you work on a lot of two stroke engines, as I now do, you are much better with a kit.
This is easy to do on the sprocket side of the saw but on the flywheel side, you have to remove the flywheel and spin the motor with an electric drill. Install a spacer before attaching flywheel nut to prevent it from jamming.
OK---go ahead and laugh but it works in a pinch !! Not 100% but sometimes good enough!

Troubleshooting U.S. Navy aircraft we used a squirt bottle of, yep, you guessed it, soap and water.  We would send the new guy into the hangar to get "bubbles".  One day the newest new guy brought out one of the female sailors from personnel.....God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Thank You Sponsors!