iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Now why would you move to Canada John? :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2018, 02:28:43 PM
I guess to be able to get an MS 462? 
Or maybe to live in a country where polite, rational discourse is still possible?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

realzed

Quote from: John Mc on November 05, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
Or maybe to live in a country where polite, rational discourse is still possible?
There's not much of that allowed here in our country anymore either - save you self the time and trouble of moving!
We here now are having it just as bad or worse.. since our media has been hijacked.
As for the same question I posed last evening (and it disappeared) about moving and having my valid warranty honored elsewhere - considering Stihl's own proud advertising about their Worldwide network of dealers and support around the Globe - it would be interesting as to what the answer is from a Stihl Rep.. 

John Mc

Well, let's not go any further down this rabbit hole. I don't want to see the thread get moved.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

snowstorm

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2018, 10:28:13 AM
Quote from: barbender on November 05, 2018, 10:07:23 AM
Some friend lol.
Yeah I guess he has more CAD to share with forum members in the US :D
Another warning for the guys in the US who are buying these saws from Canada, you are on your own if you need warranty.
We may be neighbors but both Stihl Canada and Stihl Inc. in Virginia beach are 2 totally separate identities.
Warranty rules for one doesn't work for the other.
Stihl Ultra and orange bottle mix in both countries are different. Canadian mix is manufactured by Castrol and American mix is manufactured by Omni Specialty Packaging  LLC.
Emissions are different too.
2 yrs ago i toured the irving oil refinery in st john nb. there was many barrels of oil labeled castrol  made by irving. along with other brands carquest kimpex and a few others

snowstorm

Quote from: John Mc on November 05, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
I guess to be able to get an MS 462?  
i was just going to say the last part

HolmenTree

I took my family to St. John last year, my brother and his wife have a summer cottage on the St. John river.
Irving is huge there.Too bad their diesel fuel refinery had that big explosion recently. Then a couple days later at the same time a barge also blew up there along with the pipeline explosion in B.C.

Sounds suspicious to me.

Builtbybross

I just ordered one from Russia, it was just over $1,000 shipped and will be here late December. I can wait to get it

HolmenTree

Builtbybross, Very nice!
I'm thinking you're in the U.S. as a $1000 USD is $1323 CDN.
Sounds like a deal too good to be true.

teakwood

I would be skeptical. What's with the warranty?    
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

realzed

I visited one of my local Stihl dealers today - and there it was sitting pretty on the shelf amongst many others - a spanking new 462CM with a 24" lightweight bar to boot!
Very nice looking machine and hoisting it around was pretty easy even compared to the 362 and 261 parked nearby.
Its certainly no lightweight for sure, but was a lot lighter than I fully expected it to feel like.
One beautiful piece certainly..
I asked about pricing and got $1409.95 plus taxes and that was with a regular 20" bar and chain set up. I would assume with the 20" or bigger light bar it would climb up quite rapidly though..
If I cut big wood regularly and could afford it - this would without a doubt be 'the one'..  

HolmenTree

Randy, that Stihl 20" ES Light bar will raise the price considerably.
The one I recently bought for the 066 cost me $180 CDN.

My dealer won't bring a 462 in, order only, not a big enough market here.
I'll order one in 4 months.
I'm on my off season right now won't cut wood until next April.
In my warm workshop and it's 40 below out side. :)

realzed

40 below eh.. Oh how I miss North of 55 - NOT!  :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on November 20, 2018, 09:11:38 AM
40 below eh.. Oh how I miss North of 55 - NOT!  :D
I can dress for it as snug as a bug in a rug. :D
Just took this photo on my front step at 9am right now facing NWW.

Sun is shining brightly with a beautiful blue sky.
This snow will stay till spring and the most we will get over the winter is knee deep.
Now I worked alongside many loggers who worked in your area of Ontario and they hated it. Too much snow and always wet. Plus hardly any sunshine, very depressing.  Same goes for B.C. and the east coast. Lol.
We don't call "Sunny Manitoba " for nothing.  :)

realzed

Yep - we do get a lot of wet crap and very little sun here for the most part your friends are correct!
I do fondly remember many beautiful clear days and nights up in N. Manitoba  with the Northern lights just buzzing away when the temps got down into the minus '60s occasionally, but as it got colder it also got a lot drier and calmer as a function of that type of weather, so it actually is pretty enjoyable OR 'was'.. time and beer can deaden memory cells though obviously! :).
I but I do know when the oil thickens to the point where it won't flow enough to keep the space heater stove going and it's time to throw a couple of gallons of AV gas into the 45 tank to keep it runny - it's far colder than I would ever handle well now or even want to experience again!
Many of my old work friends - some with families, spent a lot of Winters at INCO's exploration camp in Moak Lake close you, before Thompson as you now know it was even built..
The wives who did must have been true 'troopers'..  

realzed

The reason I stopped in at the dealership (aside from wondering if they might have a 462 stocked), was to see about one of those loop handles as pictured on that 462CMR(R) pictured in Stihl's new saw flyer that you noted  ???
They obviously would never stock a 461R rescue saw - but they did allow that it would make for a better grip for me and my bad hands - and said it was only $6 to bring in - so I ordered one and if it is too big or clumsy I'll just park it on my power washer or something else..
That 462 IS one nice looking piece though. Just one of many other  reasons I wish I was younger and had more money to play around with..
as it would be with me right now here as I write this! :P   

HolmenTree

At my stage in my life the 462 will probably be the last saw I will ever buy. But having said that a fuel injected MS500i would be the final grand finale. 
But also having said all that.... a brand new Husqvarna 572XP would have to offer assistance to back those saws up. :D

HolmenTree

Maybe I should have ordered a new MS462. ... because the water line contractor who hired me last week to remove those 12 poplars,   called me up this afternoon and wants about 35 more trees removed along that busy street.
And what I see there may be more . The recent  cold weather has set his crews behind schedule a bit and no time to deal with trees with their big backhoes and hauling them away.

It's warming up for the rest of the week and weekend so I'm comfortably back to chopping wood.

barbender

Go for it Willard, we need the review!👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

realzed

I just happen to know (wink) where there is a nice one with a 20" light weight bar available today! 8) HA!  

teakwood

Quote from: barbender on November 21, 2018, 01:18:26 AMGo for it Willard, we need the review!👍👍

X2 on that!

I would a have ordered that saw in an instant, just to stare at it when you bring her home and then i would find a tree or log to try her. i could not wait 4 month.  Maybe you CSA isn't that bad as mine
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Well I'll see today how much wood they need me to remove. From a quick tour yesterday most of the trees are alot closer to the street and sidewalk. Apartment buildings are closer too.
I'm going to have to raise my price for the close quarters plus the fact their taking me out of my winter hibernation.

HolmenTree

Well guys I'm off for the winter, now I can get some shop time and get my equipment gone over for next spring.
Also got a hotsaw rebuild project to finish.
So no need for a new MS462 for the winter.

Turned out this contractor  was just playing with me.
He called me late this afternoon and said he wants the next bluff of smaller trees removed on the weekend.
He said he's leaving in the morning for home in the big city and I can give him the invoice next week when he gets back.

Well a few hours later in the dark. I take a drive past that worksite and I see his backhoe operator took out  all the trees except one.
I pull over behind his pickup where he's sitting and walk up to his window. His eyes were like saucers and I said to him "looks like you won't need me John, your operator can handle that last tree eh ?"

Grinning he was a little lost for words and I could smell the booze on his breath.
From my further questions I found out he was removing some of the sidewalk and doesn't need me to remove any more trees.

Lesson learned dealing with big contractors, more ammunition for my future endeavors.  :)

ODPS

Anyone know where to get a Shop Manual or IPL for the MS 462?

Builtbybross

I received mine on Friday and used it to cut up a big white oak. It performed flawlessly and was a lot nicer to use that the slightly older 461

Thank You Sponsors!