iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a kiln

Started by Cypress Man, December 09, 2007, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

Hello everyone,

About 5 yrs. ago I built a 12' x 20' kiln that would hold approximately 2500 bf of lumber.  It has four circulating fans in its baffle wall,  two 75 pint residential dehumidifiers, and an electric heater.  I only cut and dry cypress lumber.  It takes about 20 - 25 days to dry cypress below 10% moisture content.  My business has grown more than my capability to dry enough lumber with this kiln.  I am currently building a 24' x 20' kiln that will hold approximately 6500 bf of lumber and would like suggestions as to what type of dehumidifier system to use.  Any information or ideas would be appreciated.  I know this isnt the first time a kiln has been built and dont want the trouble of reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,        CypressMan
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

David Freed

I owned and operated an Ebac kiln years ago and presently am using a Nyle L200. If I had to choose between the two I would get a Nyle dryer. I am not sure how fast you are supposed to dry cypress but I am pretty sure you would need something bigger than an L200 to dry 6500 bf at a time.   David

Ironwood

Sounds like you know what your doing, why not use a commercial A/C unit and a wet bulb to check drying conditions. Especially if cypress is not particular in it's drying schedule, like say OAK which is very finicky.  If I where drying only cherry that had been previously air dried I would spend the money on the fancy units, just drop in an A/C unit and circulate some heated air.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

Ditto the recommendaiton on Nyle.  It's a great company, their customer service can't be beat, their prices are reasonable, and their products are very good.

Granted, you can build your own, but if business is booming can you really afford to spend the time reinventing the wheel?

Give Don Lewis a call.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

oakiemac

I own an Ebac and a nyle. My recomendation? DO NOT buy an Ebac. I have had nothing but problems with mine new from the factory but I bought a used Nyle and it runs like a champ plus when I do have a problem, nyle is very helpful. Ebac-lets just say-is not helpful.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

solidwoods

12 x 24' kiln.
sticks are 5'
stacks are 22' (?)
Thats 110bf per layer

your 2500bf would be a stack less than 4' high (with 4/4 on 1" sticks)???

Whats in the other half of the kiln?

A 12 x 24 should fit 4-5000bf.

jim

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Cypress Man

Solidwoods,

The first kiln I built was 12' deep x 20' wide, not 24'.  Loading it with 16' long material I can get approximately 3,000bf give or take.

I really wanted to know if there would be a real advantage by using a commercial dehumidifier instead of residential dehumidifiers.  I only cut and dry cypress lumber and the residential dehumidifiers last about 2 yrs.  Would commercial dehumidifiers dry the lumber faster, last longer,  be more energy efficient, etc...  What size dehumidifier would be needed to dry approx. 6500 bf of lumber?

Thanks for the help.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

karl

Having owned one for 15 yrs or so- I'd call Nyle. They are one of the best companies I have ever dealt with and will take the time to learn what you intend to do and recommend accordingly without checking how deep your pockets are first. ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

scsmith42

Quote from: Cypress Man on December 13, 2007, 08:35:27 PM
Would commercial dehumidifiers dry the lumber faster, last longer,  be more energy efficient, etc... 

[In a nutshell - YES]

What size dehumidifier would be needed to dry approx. 6500 bf of lumber?

[Call Nyle.  Cypress dries fairly quickly, so you'll need a larger DH unit.]

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!