iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of air dried butternut lumber

Started by mapletree, January 07, 2008, 12:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapletree

Where can I find  the price of air dried butternut lumber?

SwampDonkey

I'd like to know to, but I suppose the price is what you can get out of it. I have some of my own here and I bought some from the saw miller whom milled mine out. I paid $0.90 a bf back 10 years ago, so maybe $1.50 would be more in line now after 10 years. I'm just throwing numbers out here. If you can get more, great. It's quite soft wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Justin L

One thing Butternut is good for is carving. I get a little over $5.50/BF for kiln dried, so AD may be in the $2-3.00 range(for clear boards) If you can straighten one edge & lightly plane them they look WAY better and people are quicker to but if they don't have to do as much work.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

SwampDonkey

Is butternut very common in most states listed in it's range? I was traveling through Va, Tn, NC and GA a few years back and I never saw any. I did see lots of Walnut though. I only hit the woods hit and miss, but everywhere we went was forest.

It's not rare here where I live, but certainly not very abundant either. I find it on stream and river banks and the odd ridge, some deep gullies or wet runs as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!