iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small horizontal grinder, thinking about getting one

Started by spencerhenry, April 04, 2011, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

this time of year is especially good for thinking of new business ventures. i do a good firewood business and this time of year is dead, would be processing but cant get any logs until the mud is gone. in the mean time i keep thinking of what to do to make money.
there is a lot of beetle kill removal going on in the state, and some of it is around houses where large machinery is either not monetarily feasible, or because of lack of work space. the local county guy that helps coordinate all this clean up was very positive about a small grinder because most of the jobs are too small to bring in a huge grinder, it costs so much to haul in, and the total amount of material to be ground is not large enough to justify the cost. another use for the small grinder is residential construction waste, while there is very little new construction going on, there is a fair amount of remodels. around here the building department gives "points" for things like recycling. mulching construction waste also means that the landfill will take it for nothing.
the ideal machine for me would be a grinder that i can tow behind a pickup, or at least something that i dont need a cdl for. does anyone have any experience with a grinder of this type and size? any suggestions?

tyb525

You might look at used Morbark machines, try this link: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?pcid=2953663&etid=1&dlr=1&catid=1035&bcatid=4

You can get smaller used grinders for a decent price if you look around.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sjfarkas

I know that vermeer makes a small horizontal grinder.  It's 81 hp.  I had a dealer bring one up a couple of years ago and after 10 minutes we were folding the conveyors back up.  it didn't pull loose material in.  it would grind logs ok, but just dumping material onto the infeed didn't work.  A good concept just needed some work on design.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!