iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fish

Started by ely, February 02, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

here is a picture of a buffalo fish that was shot during a tournament on toledo bend lake.
it weighed 48#, which was enough to win a new bow and couple hundred bucks.

beenthere

Nice catch.  :)
What bow did you use?

What bow did you win?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

typically we use the oneida osprey to shoot fish, the bow we won was a fishhawk by AMS if i remember correctly.

Raider Bill

Do you like the Oneida bows? I used to shoot in a 30 yard league but never could get the Oneida to dial in right. Used a PSA D-1000.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

That's a good buffalo! 8)

Congrats on the win.  Nice boat too.   I know a guy that was into the bowfishing, had a big lighted boat with air propulsion like that.

Bill, I always thought those Oneida bows were cool.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

I've never heard of these monsters.
Looks like they could give you a run for the money, maybe even pull your boat around. :)

ely

MH, i think the record down there is 109 pounds for a buffalo. i seen the picture once. it was huge.

bill, the oneida bow is a very misunderstood bow, at times in the past the different owners were a bit shady in the business. overall it is the hands down best bowfishing bow on the planet, my opinion. there are other makers that have improved upon the design and i have no doubt they are all that and a bag of chips, but i have yet to experience them.

that being said the bow design and some of the older models needed a bit of tweaking both the bow and the shooters style. in order to get the best performance out of the older models a guy really had to invest alot of time in the learning curve on the bow.

most bow shops around me run backwards when someone brings them in. i once fixed a guys bow in my buddys shop right out in the floor after he said sorry buddy i cant help ya. they were impressed. like i say not many folks comprehend the lever cam bow design, nor do they want to.

fish,i bet i know your buddy that fishes with a bow, i have been alot of miles chasing those tournaments.

Raider Bill

I always liked the looks of them and having been born in Oneida where they are made I tried to use one in Comp. I think a lot of the trouble was the Pro shop didn't know how to tune them right for the precise shooting we were doing.
I shot next to a guy in finals one time that used a Oneida, his was tuned right. He shot a perfect 300 that day. I shot a 290.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Just Me

DanG! Thats a lot of fish. We don't have those up here. Any good to eat?

I saw a catfish out of the Guadalupe that was 78 pounds. 11" between the eyes. Not a record but I was impressed.

I'll just have to stick to steelhead. Can't fish worth a fiddler's DanG, but I have fun trying. Haven't gone in a couple of years, but it looks like I will have some time this year.

Jeff

We might have them in the southern part of the state, but I'm not sure. Aren't they in the same class as a carp when it comes to table fare?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Apparently it's often confused with carp, but better eating.  There's even a buffalo fish festival somewhere.  However, the CDC has noted some cases to Haff disease after eating buffalo fish.  Haff disease comes from an unknown disgested toxin that leads to rhabdomyolysis, the breaking down of skeletal muscle.  Found mostly in the Mighty Mississip and its tributaries.  As a fisherman, I had only heard of them prior to this post.  Never seen one.  Interesting.  I bet the one in the picture put up a little resistance before coming over the gunwhale.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

fishpharmer

Quote from: Jeff on February 04, 2011, 06:32:58 PM
We might have them in the southern part of the state, but I'm not sure. Aren't they in the same class as a carp when it comes to table fare?

yes, at least in MS.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Just Me

Fishfarmer

Are you able to keep your ponds fairly clear? The reason I ask is that I used to live in the Texas Hill Country and so fished the Guadalupe. The catfish were so, so as far as taste and texture, and had to be soaked in salt water to get the mud out of them.

Then I had to recore a dam up in the hills and had to let the water out of the old dam. So I took garbage cans and a net and when the water was down I loaded up the cans. The water was cooler, and it was clear. We had a fish fry, and that was the best catfish I ever had, no mud taste, very firm, and great cooked with just butter and salt. First time I ever fished with a D8 Cat.

Just wondering how you deal with that in a farm situation? I worked at a trout farm when I was a kid and we had to clean the ponds twice a year. Worst job ever! That was more because trout are sensitive and would die off if the ponds got too dirty than for flavor. It was one of those fishout places. I got cleaning trout down to 4.5 seconds.

Tom

Boy!  I bet those would make some good Salmon Croquettes.  ;D

pineywoods

Quote from: fishpharmer on February 04, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

yes, at least in MS.

I'll have to disagree with you there fish. Buffalo is not the same as carp. We have them both here, carp ain't fit to eat, but buffalo ribs is some fine eating. Got a bunch in the freezer. Only similiarity is both have lots of small bones in the filets. If there were health problems from eating buffalo, most of the folks in north louisiana would be affected.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

I won't disagree with you Piney.  I have never eaten drum ribs myself.  I would love to try some.  I know drum and carp are different species.  Drum are considered rough fsh in east MS, same as carp, so generally avoided on the table because of the small bones.  I have tasted carp.  They make good salmon croquettes ;).   As far as being healthy to eat, I have never heard of problems from either species unless the waterbody is polluted.

So I stand corrected.  Thank you.

fishpharmer

Just you,  most my ponds stay muddy.  I really don't think the muddiness has much to do with the bad taste.  Much research has been done as to the cause of "off flavor" as the fish farmers call it.  Most bad tasting catfish is caused by phytoplanktons in the water.  I have eaten many catfish taken directly from a "muddy" pond that tasted perfectly fine.  Since clear water has no phytoplankton, there would be no "off flavor."  The mud in a muddy pond is caused by suspended solids that aren't really absorbed into the flesh.   Here is a lnk that probably explains it better than I could....
http://www.uaex.edu/aquaculture2/FSA/FSA9051.htm

Eat more US farm raised catfish, avoid those dirty trout ;)
That's mighty fast fish cleaning too.

Woodwalker

If there were health problems from eating buffalo, most of the folks in north louisiana would be affected.

I've eaten a couple of different dishes from LA. and have been politely told not to inquire about the ingredients . Just keep eaten and praise the cook!
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Norm

We used to shot buffalo down on truman lake in Missouri during the spring flooding. My personal best is 17lbs, nowhere near as big as yours. They do put up quite the fight though.

Now the hillbillies down there would swear you couldn't tell the difference between it and crappie....I sure could.  :D

Just Me

Interesting article Fishfarmer. That makes sense, the Guadalupe was over 80 degrees water temp much of the year. I just wrongly assumed it was the mud. Maybe the salt water soak that the locals did was actually getting rid of the stuff in the article. There would be a brown covering on the bottom of the bucket after a days soak, so I took them at their word that it was mud.

Do you process the fish yourself into filets? Freeze them? You could have a heck of a garden with all that fish waste to compost in. We used to put the pond cleanings on the lawn with a setup like the Slurrystore spray setups farmers are using, and the lawns around the ponds were awesome. Too awesome, I had to mow the lawns too.

I got my fingers a few times getting that fast. The owner and I would race when we had to fill resturant orders. Smart on his part.....

You don't have to skin trout though.

Reddog

Nice fish ely, and nice boat.  8)

We might have them in the southern part of the state, but I'm not sure.

They are in the all of the Great lakes but Superior from what I can find.

Jeff

I believe you find them those 4 great lakes, but as I mentioned find them in the southern waters.  You don't catch buffalo in Northern Lake Huron or Michigan from anything I have ever learned.

ely

my grandmother was born in 1907. she ate the buffalo ribs first, then ate the rest of the buffalo afterwards. it was her hands down fav fish her whole life. eating them could be bad for your health though she only made it to about 94 and had all her own teeth when she passed on. :D

Jeff

My mom's favorite fish to eat was the lowly bullhead.

ely

i have eaten and will eat any fish that i catch, i guess my favorite is what we call perch here, generic term for sunfish, goggle eye, u name it.
my real favorite fish is the ones that have cornmeal on em and have just hit on a paper plate.

Thank You Sponsors!