iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup 2018

Started by Chuck White, January 29, 2018, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Pumped about 150 gallons today for a total of 300 or so gallons on hand.  Surprised it ran that much.  Tomorrow's weather is to be about the same.  I'd like about 500 gallons before we fire up.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

We'll likely get around 350 gallons or so today, but most likely it's what ran late yesterday!

We're only projected to get up to 30° today!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ed_K

Only had enough sap for a quick boil yesterday so I put it off and worked on the skidder winch again  >:( . I'll start boiling today at 9 this morning for a long day of boiling ;) . The way the saps been running around here it'll be an every other day boil 8).
Ed K

maple flats

Update on my situation. Since I have surgery coming on 4/18 and because of the cancer delaying everything, I only tapped 225 at the sugarhouse (Unlike Glen Goodrich who will eventually have about 200,000 taps all direct to the sugarhouse). That includes some trees that have never been tapped before. Since the tapping was finished the weather has been so cold that I've only gotten a little sap. I hauled one load to a friend to boil because it was not enough to run the RO and start a boil. Today I'll get a little, temps going up to 36-37F, tomorrow everything should run and I will finally have my first boil. Yesterday it got to 37 but I only got 100 gal, most areas never thawed until late in the day. Shortly I'm headed down to check for leaks and maybe my first boil, more likely tomorrow. From here on our forecast looks like maple weather for 10 days at least.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chuck White

Good to hear from you, Dave, glad to hear you're getting into it a little!

We gathered 630 gallons today, RO'ed it and boiled, drew off 22½ gallons of syrup!

After we got done yesterday, before feezeup it really kicked off, many of our barrels were running over!

The barrels and lines were froze up and we just broke a hole through the ice and pumped the sap out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cbla

been too cold here for the last week to get a run, but the next week looks good.

Chuck White

We should get a little sap today, it got into the low 40's yesterday!

It should reach into the upper 40's today, and Tue, Wed & Thu it's not even supposed to get below freezing!  Could run 24 hours on all three days!  8)

Chuck White

We gathered just over 400 gallons of sap this morning and boiled it down!

We got just a hair over 10 gallons of syrup, we are now a little over 200 gallons!  8)

Our last years total was 245 gallons!

Looks like we'll likely go over 300 gallons this year!  fingers crossed!

Peter Drouin

At $60.00 a gal that can be nice for the wallet. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Not even close to that, Peter!  ;)

But, ya, it would be nice!  ;D

Chuck White

Gathered about 700 gallons of sap today and boiled!

We lack 2½ gallons to reach our last years total of 245 gallons!

We figure that before it's done, we'll reach 300!

Corley5

After some technical difficulties brought on by operator error we got running again last night.  We chewed through 1,200 of our 2,000 gallons of sap before running out energy.  Another 800 or so has come in today so far.  It's still running.  We processed more firewood today for the rig and we off to fire up in a few minutes.  Plan on running until 1AM or so and will catch the woods with a boil tomorrow.

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on March 27, 2018, 06:46:19 AM
Not even close to that, Peter!  ;)

But, ya, it would be nice!  ;D
peter your way to low on price  :D

Peter Drouin

Here the guys are getting $50 to $60 a gal, Go south and get more $$$
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Sounds like you really got a flood of sap, Corley!
That's when the barrels fill up and the wood pile goes down!  8)

In this area bottled syrup in gallons goes for $35.00 - $45.00, and in the barrel, it's a lot lower!

maple flats

I sell gallons for $52, around me I see prices from $45 to $60. My biggest seller after my bourbon barrel aged maple syrup is half gallons at $27. I intensionally keep that closer to the gal. rate because I sell so much that is shipped across the country and 2 half gal go nicely in a medium flat rate box and that ships cheaper than a gal jug in a box. I do not pack any gal. in glass (at this time).
To see my whole price structure check out my web site   CNY Maple ? Delicious New York State maple syrup   Those are my prices at the sugarhouse too, I don't have 2 prices structures.
The only bulk I sell is if I make any commercial and I retail all the rest.
While my flows have slowed, it's still pretty good, I did have to remove my few reds and fewer silvers yesterday, but the sugars are still good. I'm still making amber, have not yet made any dark or very dark. I'm sure that will change as temps get warmer.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ed_K

If your shipping USPS make sure you get the proper insurance for the price of the syrup. We sent 3 half gals to florida last week and only insured it for $50. not really thinking about it. The package made it to my son with no product inside >:( .
Ed K

Magicman

As in leaked out or was stolen?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

We've got about 60 gallons finished thus far.  Got about 500 gallons of sap still tanked and it'll run yet this afternoon.  Got pretty cold last night.  Zach just went over to turn on the vacuum.  We'll fire up again this evening.  Winter storm warnings for tomorrow.  Sounds like we'll be on the warm side at 40.  Should have sap.  Then cold Sunday.  Looks like a run maybe Monday and Tuesday and then unseasonably cold again.

Chuck White

We are at 249½ gallons, so we've beaten our last years total of 245, and it looks like cooler weather is on the way, so that should extend the season!

We're looking forward to quite possibly making over 300 gallons!

bill m

We are having a good season also even though it has been a strange one. Weather has been identical to last year with way above temperature end of Feb., 10 days of below 32 and now it is running good. sugar content started from 1.6 to 1.9 till the freeze then came up to 2.2 and has been there most of the week. Still at 2.0 today. We are up to 236 gallons on 1100 taps, no vacuum system yet. Maybe next year. If the weather cooperates this coming week we should be close to 300, maybe more.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Chuck White

celliott

Here's a video of our pump station. Releaser, vacuum pumps and the releaser manifold showing the flow from 40,000, not running very hard at all yet.

Maple sap Pump station - YouTube
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

nativewolf

Love reading this thread even though I'm stuck down in northern VA with only the rare sugar maple tree here and there.  I plan to buy 5 taps and tap my 5 14" trees, did not get to it this year.  For me it would just be something fun to do with the kids/neighbors.   However, for you guys with businesses how do you guys sell it all?  Wholesale would seem to be quite the discount, can you retail it all off the shelves?  I could retail every drop here on our upick farm but alas, no trees.  Some folks like Corley seem to far from big metro areas to retail easily.  Just curious how the business side of it works.

Really impressive operations and the enthusiasm is infectious, thanks again for all for contributing.
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

Magicman, The syrup we sent, the box was empty when it got to my son in Fl.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!