Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

It is hard to plantain my composure.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

due to the potassium in a banana, it gives off radiation as the K-40 degrades, called the banana equivalent radiation dose.  it is equal to about 2% of the radiation in one chest x-ray.  slick, very slick! good health a peel, trying to stem the effects of aging a bunch. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

I am not sure if it is fact or fiction but I was once told that after eating bananas, people are more attractive as blood donors to mosquitos.  Also, the peel of a banana is supposedly rubbed on the sting and it will relieve the itching.  I guess the scent one emits after eating them makes skeeters go bananas.
Caveman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

That one is a real sticker. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Not much else blooming this time of year.

tule peak timber

caveman

I have a new tree for today.  This picture was taken at the Lake Alfred Citrus Arboritum last Tuesday. I'll give you a hint.  It is a cold tolerant root stock for citrus.  The tree planted for wind blocks are eucalyptus of some sort.  They grow up to 15' per year here.

Caveman

tule peak timber

citron, kafir,pumello, ?  need to see the leaves

caveman

It is a deciduous trifoliate.
Caveman

Don P

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 07, 2019, 05:54:49 PM
woof.....
"an astringent that is often used as a natural topical remedy. It contains several compounds with potent anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, which may be useful in treating a variety of conditions ranging from acne and scalp sensitivity to hemorrhoids."
I had no idea it had so many uses, good for everything from a pain in the neck to a pain in :D

I looked into making the potion at one time, apparently most of what you buy over the counter has actually been made wrong.

Southside

Quote from: caveman on December 07, 2019, 09:26:18 PMIt is a deciduous trifoliate.

Is that some kind of very old fish? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

The Flying Dragon variety of Poncirus trifoliata is used to produce small citrus trees.  The thorns on this root stock are scary.  P-tri can survive as far north as the northeastern U.S.

When budding citrus, a scion is taken from the cultivar of fruit desired and grafted using an inverted T-bud cut in the rootstock tree about 1' above the top root.  If the bud takes, the top of the rootstock is removed above the graft.
Caveman

tule peak timber

Never heard of that one ! My brief ag stint was spent propagating/grafting lychees and longans trying to get something to work in the California.
  Never did figure out what rootstock would resist the mysterious soil born pathogen that doomed the trees.
   In my area citrus planting is waning, as are avocados due to water demand . The latest rage is wine grapes.

ogdentree

Paper Birch: Shining Beauty
Along with its close associate, quaking aspen, paper birch is one of the most widely distributed tree species on our continent. It is primarily a tree of the great boreal forest that stretches from New England to Alaska. Specifically, it is an ecological product of short growing seasons, low temperatures, and cold soils which may fluctuate from excessively moist in the spring to excessively dry in late summer.

Magicman

I love to see a man on "top of his job".  :D  Welcome to the Forestry Forum ogdentree.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ogdentree

Quote from: ogdentree on December 12, 2019, 08:59:02 AM
Paper Birch: Shining Beauty
Along with its close associate, quaking aspen, paper birch is one of the most widely distributed tree species on our continent. It is primarily a tree of the great boreal forest that stretches from New England to Alaska. Specifically, it is an ecological product of short growing seasons, low temperatures, and cold soils which may fluctuate from excessively moist in the spring to excessively dry in late summer.

caveman

It has been a while since I posted a tree of the day but I took a picture of one in a parking lot a day or so ago.  This one is used as an ornamental but can also be found in swampy areas in our neck of the woods.

Caveman

Roxie

The leaves remind me of a rhododendron, but I've never seen one with red berries.  Can't wait to find out what this is and if it's found this far north.  I still love this thread. 

Say when

thecfarm

ogdentree, nice stand of birch!! I have some but only one here and there. Is that your land?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Still catchin up for the week, they've had us driving trucks for 12 hrs a day. I assume it'll get easier when I grind those toothy things round ;D.
That looks like a yaupon to me.

caveman

It is a holly.  I think it is a Dahoon holly (Illx cassine) but they are very similar to the Yaupon holly.  There is also a hybrid that it resembles called the East Palatka Holly.  
Caveman

Don P

Was there a medicinal use of yaupon? ...Ilex vomitoria

Texas Ranger

In Texas Ilex has some 1600 identified subspecies.  Prolific crossbreeding little devil.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!