iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

alcohol or no alcohol? Leaky 372 fuel cap

Started by Hobnob2, December 01, 2005, 08:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobnob2

Hi, Gang.

I'm running a Husky 372.  One dealer tells me that alcohol in the fuel is bad (piston siezures) and another dealer tells me that alcohol is necessary.
Sorry if I'm repeating a well-flogged fuel discussion but I searched the forum and didn't find a clear answer to the question:
Is it important that I buy gas with no alcohol in it?

Also, does anyone have a DIY fix for these notoriously leaky 372 fuel caps?

Thanks!
H
Grow the best wood on the best trees, as fast as possible.

DanManofStihl

My dealer says not to buy gas with alcohol. Me personally I run BP 93 octance gas and synthetic mix in my saws. My boss runs 7 11 or crown gas 87 octance with some istacha or something mix that is not api tc approved. He has not had any failures and all of his stuff has many many hours on it. My biggest thing is try to get the higher octance gas from some place that does alot of business. I got some from 711 one time that was stale and it mess up all of my stuff. On the leaky fuel caps I used seal all on my 066 over 2 years ago and it does not leak an oucnce. YOu can get it from walmart and it is cheap.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

twistedtree

I'd suggesting directly asking Husky the question about alcohol in the fuel - get the answer from the horses mouth.

On the fuel cap, I replaced the cap on my 262XP with one of the new style caps used on my new 346XP.  It fits fine and works great.    Unfortunatly, I don't know for sure if the 372 uses the same cap as the 262 and hence will accept a 346 cap.

VA-Sawyer

A few thoughts about alcohol in chainsaws....
1.  Aluminum is slightly soluble in Methanol. Over time, this could cause problems.

2. Alcohol is more resistant to flowing through an orfice than gasoline. A given set of jets in a carb will flow less alcohol than gasoline under a given set of conditions. Mixing in alcohol in the fuel will tend to move the mixture toward LEAN. Offsetting this to a certain degree, alcohol has the effect of increasing the octane rating.

3. It can be more difficult to get the carb adjusted correctly. It has the effect of changing the shape of the power curve. Tuning by ear becomes a whole new game.

Personally, I just use straight premium brand name fuel ( in my case, SHELL. ) and don't let the fuel/oil mix get old.

VA-Sawyer

D._Frederick

My Shindiawa dealer said his experience has been if you use fuel with alcohol in it will require you to have your 2 cycle engine carburetors rebuilt every year.

Tony_T

I had some mix that had a bit of water in it in freezing weather, added a bit of drygas to it and promptly siezed my 028 stihl; lesson learned don't use alcohol with two strokes

Dale Hatfield

I have had the chance to listen to a presentation by Echo's 2 cycle god.
by the info giving at his talk .   Alcohol/methanol, gain based additives are in all fuels in the Mid west.
He said  buy mid grade gas.  Use the best mixing oil that you can meeting  a
ISO L-EGD/JASO-FC.
That Oil mixes with  Alcohol !!!!!
Only mix small batches of fuel only what you will use  in a week or so.
I know that Husky .Echo,and I think Jonsred oil meets the specks.
Echo is leading the pack with  2 stroke  as the others are having trouble meet new regs.

I have been using Echo mix oil in my feet  for a  few years now without a hitch.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

archerR80RT

Hey Dale, you have got to try to keep the oil off your feet,  eh? :D

Hobnob2

Thanks for all of your responses.  I love this place!
Best holidays ever to ya!
H
Grow the best wood on the best trees, as fast as possible.

timberjack240

all i can tell ya is that we run high octane gas with ams oil mixed 100:1 
as for the cap my pap uses a 372 from time to time. hes never had the gas cap problem but.... he has has similar trouble with the oil cap  ;D that always makes yur day when the oil cap comes out  :D

Dale Hatfield

FEET    or Fleet  or Team  anywho oil them well.   Best   you can buy when you need to oil your feet , fleet,herd or team of saws.

Hahahahahahah
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!