iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shellac?

Started by ancjr, January 21, 2014, 07:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ancjr

I'm about 1/3 through my epic adventures in re-trimming the interior of the homestead here.  Decided on using thinned BLO as a "stain" with shellac (bullseye sealcoat) to topcoat.  First time ever using shellac.  Padding it on with liberal amount of DNA thinner.  Seems to be going ok, but interior corners are a boondoggle.  Any thoughts on that or tips on shellac in general? 

Phorester

My 2 cents as a hobby woodworker and home remodeling jobs on shellac: it goes on fast, drys very fast, and makes a smooth finish with a nice sheen.  I always use a brush and getting into interior corners is not a problem.  A good undercoat on coniferous wood to seal the knots so they don't bleed through paint coats.  I like it for those reasons.

But it doesn't seem to last near as long as polyurethane or varnish or provide as much protection for the wood.

ancjr

I'm liking the way it's turning out, but regret assembling the extension jambs before finishing now.  :)

MattJ

You can give yourself more time with it by adding more alcohol to the cut and doing thinner layers.  It gets tacky less quickly and lets you work a little slower.  The nice thing with shellac is if you make a mistake you can take it back off with alcohol.  Sometimes I'll do my last coat with just alcohol.  Not really adding any finish but it acts to level it and smooth out inconsistencies.

Also for durability and better water resistance use dewaxed shellac.  Sealcoat is dewaxed, the other bullseye offerings are not.  I use shellac flakes from woodcraft.

nygrosity

When I need a fast finish that still works well, I seal with shellac, give it a light sanding to knock off the fuzz and over coat with either straight fast drying polyurethane or thinned, depending on application, ragging off excess before it kicks. I tried to use the throw away Shur-line handi painter bristle pads but the shellac eats the adhesives they use. I'm playing with making my own pads from high density open cell foam wrapped in cotton on a wood block. Pads are great for flat work with fast drying finish and corners are easy.

ancjr

I'm using SealCoat, dewaxed, clear.  Six thin coats in and there are still some knots that look dry, but the majority is nice and glossy.  I use a razor to scrape any ridges or drips, seems to work well.  Got a few of those at first, before I learned the way shellac likes to be handled.  :)

Also tried the light coating of DNA yesterday and it does help bring out the gloss.

From the foam and wood block idea, I'm tempted to try folding a piece of cotton tshirt over a cheap foam brush and see how that works for the tight spots.

Also wish I had some amber shellac to warm up the color a bit more.  :)

MattJ

Two handy things to keep around are some darker shellac flakes and or aniline dyed in a few colors. The later goes a long way but can fade in the sun over time. The former is what I use a lot mixed in for the last few coats to bring out warmth in the finish.

ancjr

If the wood (sassafras) tends to darken with exposure to light, the color will likely be finebin a year or so.  Don't have a thing on stock but MS, BLO, DNA, clear shellac, satin waterbase poly, satin spar varnish, and am snowed in.

The wrapped foam brush performs brilliantly- especially if it's carefully loaded via squirt bottle.  Dipping only makes it drip all over.

Can post pictures later if anyone would like to see my amateur attempt at craftsman style interior  trim.  :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ancjr

Quote from: LeeB on January 25, 2014, 02:03:07 AM
is it later yet?

Indeed it is!  The weather here has just been hard on me.  Been staying inside.  Can only take so much standing around applying shellac when either the temperature or windchill is below10F.  :)

ancjr

Here's the photos!  Bought about 100bf of sassafras out of the back corner of a neighbors barn for 20 bucks and this is what became of it.  The chickens had pooped on it and there was even some mushrooms growing on part of it.

;D

I'm glad I went with shellac.  

LeeB

Looks nice. I have a small amount of sasafras. Not nearly that much. Someday it will tell me what it wants to be. I like shellac also for depth and color with a topcoat of poly for added water. alcohol and wear protection.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ancjr

Thanks!  It'll look a lot better once it's installed.

I'd say 1/3 of the stems in my woods are sassafras.  Even then, it counts for only 1% of the volume.  Had to cut down one last year and am drying the log to make a bench.  There are only 3-4 left here that are over 8" DBH.  This wood I'm using was leftover from decking and siding a neighbor had cut for his own place.  Really liked working with it, once I had the poo and 'shrooms scrapped off it!

Have plenty more to come as I get good weather and time, I intend to do the whole house.

:)

Don_Papenburg

I" load" the knots and bark inclusions with a wet brush ,very wet , the varnish runs out as I tip it up on the knot .  Stop as soon as it is filled ,let dry and repeat as needed.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ancjr

That's a good tip, thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!