iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Have a Frostbite Grapple on their Tractor Loader ??

Started by g_man, March 21, 2017, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodstockVT

I have a LandPride root-rake style grapple, and my only observation is it's wider, more points of contact with the log, less critical to grab it right at it's balance point, as you might need to with the narrower Frostbite.  I'm inclined to say I think the root rake style grapple is the most versatile, but there are occasions I can think of where the narrowness of the Frostbite would be handy, picking just a single rock out of a pile, etc.  I would assume the root-rake style ones cost a little more.  A neighbor has a Frostbite and loves his.
No question the thing has enough dexterity to pick a relatively small log off the deck of a flat bed trailer without touching the deck.
Grapples are the single most useful loader attachment on the face of the planet, I love mine.

g_man

Glassman. I have been away from my computer for a while. But I saw your message this am and looked at the video on my daughters ipad. Looks interesting. When I get home I will get more info from you. Thanks

gg

John Mc

I have a Sundown GR40 Forestry Grapple, which is very similar to the Frostbite. I looked at a lot of different styles before deciding. I went with this style because it's designed for picking up logs, and it works very well at it. I like that it is a narrower profile than the root grapples. With the 3 point grab, it does very well on irregular shapes. Contrary to what some have indicated, Ive never found the grapple to be a problem with grabbing logs off the center of gravity. The limit in how far off-center I can grab is in the tractor, not the grapple.

I've only had it about a year, but I've been very happy with it. It's easy to grab logs securely, and easy to pick logs from a pile. It also does fairly well at cleaning up the brush that always seems to be left over after logging. I've seen other grapples that are better at other things (grubbing roots, picking rocks, grabbing brush, etc) but I have yet to see a grapple made to mount on a tractor's FEL that does a better job at grabbing logs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

Thanks for the detailed report John. I appreciate it. You pretty much confirmed my thinking on this type of dedicated grapple vs a root grapple. Just got the tractor home last week and am going thru it to see what I have. I will have to come up with a grapple soon. I am leaning heavily towards the Frost Bite. There is a dealer in St J.

gg

nativewolf

and there is one of those sundown in scarborough ME for 1575 at BEAUREGARD EQUIPMENT- just googled, looks brand new almost.
Liking Walnut

John Mc

Quote from: nativewolf on April 17, 2017, 07:44:32 AM
and there is one of those sundown in scarborough ME for 1575 at BEAUREGARD EQUIPMENT- just googled, looks brand new almost.

Well, I hope that's a new one, because that's basically the new price.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nativewolf

I'd have no idea but this thread is giving me ideas on how to spend $..bad thread bad.  I guess if that is new than $1200 or less is what one should look for.
Liking Walnut

GRANITEstateMP

Not to stray too far from the original post, but...  I'm having an issue with my grapple staying on my quick tach plate.  I've got the Frost Bite grapple, I've moved many a log with it, I was moving some stuff the other day and the grapple "popped" off the plate, figured I hadn't fully engaged the handle, didn't think much of it.  Well, it happened 2 more times and once it just about ripped my hydro hoses out!  I took a better look at it, I ended up putting a little weld on the grapple where the 2 pins hold it down bottom, it had worn a bit there.  Still didn't want to stay on.  I swapped my bucket onto the loader, just in case it was an issue on the grapple and not the tractor.  Bucket stays on but pins try to "move up" and out of the way.  I finally added a couple washers to the top of the springs where they hold those pins down.  Seems to have helped but still a lot of movement on the pins.  Anybody ever have these issues?  
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Puffergas

I've had problems with other skid steer attachments by pulling. They were made to push! Ended up adding some weld to the bottom of my pin. Check for wear an the plate were pins lock in. When I build my log puller the plate will angle more toward the ground.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks Puffergas.  I think I'll try adding another "shim" to the spring and cleaning up my welded up area so the pins hit an even / level surface.  I will "test" the grapple out this weekend, got to push a couple cord through the processor, so I'll be moving some logs
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

chubby

FARMA (site sponsor) makes one! Check how the top of the grapple uses 1 solid pin right across the top. Also built with grade 650 HSS steel. It can also be equipped with wireless remote control winch. 
http://forsmw.com/log-lifter/log-lifter-ll-1000

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Timbercreekfarm

I have a fransgard grapple, which is basically the same as a frostbite. Wow that thing will move wood, I started with forks, after getting used to how it works you become very used to where it is as far as level and the actual tip. Now I can easily grab a 3" stick if I need to. Very quality unit, it was around $1600.

711ac

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on July 13, 2018, 03:40:08 PM
Thanks Puffergas.  I think I'll try adding another "shim" to the spring and cleaning up my welded up area so the pins hit an even / level surface.  I will "test" the grapple out this weekend, got to push a couple cord through the processor, so I'll be moving some logs
Another place on any ssqa, (another name for skid steer quick attach) is the lower angled face where the pins go through. Some attachments are a little loose even when new but loose makes for an easy attachment. Shimming that area an 1/8" will tighten things up also.
My only negative comment on the frostbite is the not so substantial bolt on ssqa adapter. It's not really built to accommodate much side loading (left/right). My friend now owns the little Ford that's in the Labonville catalog along with the frostbite and it's pretty bent up.

GRANITEstateMP

711ac,

That is my next plan of attack if it's still acting hinkey.  I moved a dozen logs with it the other day with no problems, but you can see it moving around a lot more than before.  I guess I'll get to use the brother in-laws plasma cutter to help make some shims at some point...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

g_man

Quote from: 711ac on July 19, 2018, 09:35:43 PM

My only negative comment on the frostbite is the not so substantial bolt on ssqa adapter. It's not really built to accommodate much side loading (left/right). My friend now owns the little Ford that's in the Labonville catalog along with the frostbite and it's pretty bent up.
Are you talking about the 4 bolts (2 each side) holding the grapple to the plate ? I have not had any trouble there yet - will have to watch the side loading I guess.

This angled area between grey and orange is where you don't want any play between the plates - It sounds like you already know this.

The only time mine came off was when I was pushing down brush piles and a stick or branch pushed a lever open. I put some 8" bolts thru existing holes so that won't happen again. But it's not quick attach anymore.

gg  

GRANITEstateMP

g_man,

Thanks for the up close pictures!  I've got to double check if I've got the play / space between the quick tach and grapple.  If so, like 711ac said, I'll cut a bit of plate to shim it.  I've been busy with other projects so I haven't worked on that.  Of coarse I got to get a couple or three more cord of firewood done for customers in the am so, I'm sure I'll be reloading my deck at least once, I'll get to check it out then!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

mike_belben

I use flexible "gear wraps" to keep my bobcat handles closed.  Theyre really just a flexy piece of wire from the camping section.  Coathanger or solid copper from romex would work fine too.
Praise The Lord

711ac

Quote from: g_man on July 21, 2018, 08:26:21 AM

Are you talking about the 4 bolts (2 each side) holding the grapple to the plate ? I have not had any trouble there yet - will have to watch the side loading I guess.

gg  
Gordon iirc I think what I remembered is that the width of the grapple is way "inboard" of the width of the ssqa, exerting a twisting effect on it and it could really use a substantial crossmember from one side to the other to catch this load. This friend that had this frostbite, I'm not too sure of his operating skill's and I somewhat avoided him as it seems that my welding abilities may have been actually "enabling" his continued machinery abuse. :D (I may have been un fair in my assessment of the mount VS the operator)
He was a good guy, just one with not much mercy for - snow plows, trailers, log splitters and a bunch of stuff I've welded that have been forgotten.

GRANITEstateMP

711ac,

We call people with the ability to break stuff with that kinda, ah...., precision anvil breakers  ;D .  My dear wife, and her uncle battle to see who can break the most stuff, nobody wins :'(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

g_man

Quote from: 711ac on August 14, 2018, 04:05:16 PM
Quote from: g_man on July 21, 2018, 08:26:21 AM

gg  
Gordon iirc I think what I remembered is that the width of the grapple is way "inboard" of the width of the ssqa, exerting a twisting effect on it and it could really use a substantial crossmember from one side to the other to catch this load. This friend that had this frostbite, I'm not too sure of his operating skill's and I somewhat avoided him as it seems that my welding abilities may have been actually "enabling" his continued machinery abuse. :D (I may have been un fair in my assessment of the mount VS the operator)
He was a good guy, just one with not much mercy for - snow plows, trailers, log splitters and a bunch of stuff I've welded that have been forgotten.
Thank you for that explanation - It is easy to see when someone explains it like that. I can also see it would be pretty easy to put a lot of torque on that plate if you brush against a tree or log with the end of something long in the grapple. Hmmmmmmm......
gg 

Thank You Sponsors!