iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone ever built any outbuildings or anything with untreated posts?

Started by hazazil, July 31, 2018, 07:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazazil

Just curious..........

So I purchased 6 roofing panels from someone who was moving. I had to use a crane truck to load/unload them on a car hauler trailer. Each panel I was told weighs 500 pounds or so. They are approximately 8 feet by 11 feet.

I was hoping to place them 3 long and butt 3 of them together so the total dimensions would be 24 feet x 22 feet.

Obviously that's alot of weight to hold up. I have some dead standing ash trees that I could take down and make some big posts. I figured I could even make some huge posts up to 24 inches for where the 2 panels but up together if needed.  I've been reading online about using untreated posts for post frame buildings.

Some say treat the part that will in in the ground with tar or tar/kerosene. Others say put in a concrete pier/pillar and attach post to top of concrete pier(which defeats the purpose of pole building and jeopardizes lateral support)

Was just wondering what your thoughts are and if anyone has done anything like I'm wanting to do. Obviously I do not want to go to the store and buy any lumber. I do have some cedar trees on the property but don't want to cut them down just to use them as posts.

Thanks for the advice.

Don P

I don't know that it defeats the purpose of a post frame building, the posts simply need to be braced by another method. A braced wall can be one solution.

We used site gathered rocks, concrete and mortar to make piers under these posts. There is steel in the pier as well as the post base bolted to the bottom of the post. When the post plate was in place on the pier plate, the steel was welded together tying the post to the pier.

DPatton

I.m.o. I think Don P is spot on about the bracing. There are other ways to brace a post or pole framed shed. I build mine with all eastern red cedar posts set 4' + deep and filled with compacted rock for drainage. Personally I would suggest against burying untreated ash and would opt for the concrete pier method if that's the species your going to work with.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

florida

hazazil
If I'm understanding you the total weight of the panels is 3,000 pounds. That's not much weight at all.  A single pine 6 X 6" post will hold 26,137 pounds and I'm guessing you'll have at least 4 posts sharing the load. 4 posts would give you 750 pounds per post which a  2 x 6 would hold if dead weight were the only factor. But, you also have to consider snow load and uplift so I'd use at least a 6 X 6 or for a little insurance cut some 8 X 8's to be sure.

Use this interactive form to calculate what you might need.

Capacity of wood column calculator

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Wudman

l would not consider burying the ash.  I will rot in short order.  Saw and sell the ash.  Buy some pressure treated pine if you wish to go with a pole building or chase down some used power poles.  Piers under a post is fine too as long as you have bracing to prevent racking.  If it is subjected to water, I would still tend to shy away from the ash.  White oak, if available, would be a better choice in my opinion.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Autocar

I just got done in June to a adittion on my machine shed, I sawed white oak and socked them in motor oil then poured cement around them . I will try in september or later whaen ever the ground starts to dry I will spray the cement and post four inches off the cement with flex seal. Is that the answer  ;D at 70 years old I hope they last my life time than someone else can dig a footer and place them up on the foundation
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!