iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch

Started by Mainer_for_life, November 23, 2014, 10:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainer_for_life

Hello everyone my dad just purchased a ramsey kx200-r winch to haul firewood with he paid $200 for it and I was wondering if this was a good buy also does anyone have any ideas on how we could build s mount for it to go on a three point hitch. The tractor it will be run of is a 2003 new holland tc40d. There is a sprocket on the back of it that is mounted to the worm gear shaft that will be removed in order to run it directly from the pto via a shaft and a universal joint. The winch is also mounted to a plate that will be taken off in order to weld our new mount. Thanks for the info.

P.S. I would have attached a pic but this is coming from an iPad that cannot have pics other than jpegs which are not accepted.

coxy

welcome to the ff   and sorry I know nothing about that winch   but someone will point you the right way

thecfarm

Mainer_for_life,welcome to the forum. That NH will do a nice job for ya.
here's one thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71151.msg1069196.html#msg1069196
There are many more.
If you want,go to the search,change This Topic to This board,which is Foresty and Logging and put in, pt winch. That should bring up 3 pages for you to read until others find your thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

QuoteP.S. I would have attached a pic but this is coming from an iPad that cannot have pics other than jpegs which are not accepted.

They are accepted, and can be posted from your iPad.

And you have a winch picture in your gallery, so that part is done.
Click on the line below this posting window that reads "Click here to add Photos to post" and the click on the menu tab "My Gallery"  so you then click on your pic and it will pop in another window. SCROLL down below that pic where is will give you a couple options to put your pic in your post. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mainer_for_life

Thanks for all of the information everyone I'm sure his will help a lot beenthere thanks for the help with the pictures. The new holland was purchased this spring to help us around r he house swing as we have over 100 acres and that there is brush hogging to do. We also use it to run a tiller for our hunting food plots. So all in all it use been a very useful machine.

Mainer_for_life

Here is that image that I tried to add earlier beenthere has helped sort me out so I added it I will have another pic a little bit later in the day showing the backside and the sprocket. I was wondering if anyone had any homemade winch pics that they would share with me to inspire some ideas in my head about our mount.

Mainer_for_life

I have been drawing up plans for this winch frame and I was wondering do you guys think that a 1/2 inch plate would be a strong enough base to old the winch.

teakwood

How much pulls the winch?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Mainer_for_life

If you mean how much pull does it have and I think you do it has an 8000 pound pull on it.

teakwood

ok. so I think a 1/2" plate will hold (better when its 4140 steel). with how many bolts will you bolt the winch on the plate? 
or do you weld it on?

teakwood

On the picture it seems that it already has a good plate on it?

Mainer_for_life

The plate on the bottom of it is not big enough to build off of and to put the mounts for the three point hitch. The winch is bolted to a couple of pieces of thick plate around 3/4 inch and those will be welded to the new mount the reason for the winch to be mounted to the couple of 3/4 inch plates is so it can be serviced and the oil for the gears can be emptied and replaced easily.

teakwood

I dont see the 3/4" plates on the picture

Mainer_for_life

When you look at the picture. You will see what looks like a piece of angle iron on the fron it is actually a pics that is welded onto the plates behind it anyways the winch will be completely torn apart and gone through so as to fix a gear that may be worn on the inside. And we may just leave the plates off of it. There are 2 bolts one each side of the plate that are bolted directly into the winch and so that it can come off of its mount.ci think we will probably weld our mount off of those.

teakwood

couldnt you weld the whole thing (on the pic) on the 1/2" inch plate with the mounts on it?

Mainer_for_life

He's you could I think that the only reason it is coming off is to replace the gears I think we will Wel the whole thing on after that.

Mainer_for_life

Also the frame we will build will be a trapezoid shape so they we can have. Top link mount and maybe some storage on top.

thecfarm

This is the winch on the back of my tractor,a Norse. The Farmi,Wallentin and others are just about the same. Mine is built out of ΒΌ and 3/16 steel. Hard to see but there is a pulley type wheel on top of the tower for lift and than about a foot below that one. That top wheel is about 5-6 feet off the ground.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Here are pictures of the winch I made for my tractor

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BargeMonkey

Thats pretty sharp looking, nice job. Blue tractors make the best tractors.   ;) 

Mainer_for_life

I want to thank everyone for the pictures and for the ideas. Bill M I think that we will probably not build as big of a frame as yours (which is magnificent I will say) and  I think we will probably just leave the blade style thing on the bottom off because of lack of materials and because of the fact that you can bring the butts of the logs up so that they are underneath the winch and chain them to the frame of the winch via a choker so that there is more weight on the back wheels. I will probably send a picture of the drawing that I have made within the next couple of days and soon I will have another post on the logging forks that we will be making up.  MORE INFO AND PICS ARE ALWAYS GREAT KEEP THEM COMING!

thecfarm

The blade will keep the tractor from trying to move towards whatever you are trying to winch in. That is why all the 3 pt winches have one. It works!!!!!

Mainer_for_life

If we can find an old dozer blade or something we will put one on but like I said unfortunately we don't have much at our disposal a good set of chains for the tractor tires to help control slip and give extra grip and two people can keep you out of any sticky situations. My dad and I run a winch like this that  my grandfather put together. One of us would be on the tractor running the the tractor, the pto control and holding the brakes while the other hooked the logs and watched for any problems or snags. We pulled out enough firewood in a day to last us all winter and have extra (almost 8-9 cord) with no problems, but I can see where it would be helpful I will suggest it to my dad when we build it. ;)

Mainer_for_life

This is the backside of the winch picture that I promised.

Thank You Sponsors!