iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment lights

Started by Ken, February 14, 2014, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I recently purchased a few led lights to put on the machines.  Although they are by far better than the normal bulbs I had been using they are quite pricey.  Anybody have some leads on decent deals for good lights? 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

1270d

Our local auto value has some decent little LEDs for pretty cheap.  Ten bucks or so I think.  They are on a forwarder and the operator likes them.

EricR

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Flood-Scene-Spot.html
not cheap but really nice lights. 
I have a set and they are high quality. 
A lot of guys on plowsite.com order there LED's from them

Southside

There are 2 packs of LED 6 bulb, 24 watt lights on e-bay for $18.  I them all around the skidder and going to put some on the processor, they are quite bright and seem to be durable as they have had a couple decent wacks already. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutter88

EBAY!!!! I just bought 12 brand new high power led work lights for 180 bucks 2 weeks ago
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

beenthere

That's a lot of work.  8)

What are you going to be doing with all those lights?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

Cutting or skidding night shift Its very nice having good lighting

barbender

Our newer Ponsse machines are outfitted with a "high output" LED lighting package, and they are bright. To be honest, I don't care for the blue-white light they're produce, it's hard on my eyes when running the machine and absolutely blinding if you are working next to one. The light has the all the warmth of an arc flash from a welder :D The plus side would be not having to change bulbs often. I'm sure you can find LED's that put out a warm light, too. I just don't like Pindar's, but none of the other operators seem to mind them.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

some of the cheaper LED units are almost the same price as a 24v halogen bulb?  24vH3 bulbs are 12 bucks at the local parts store

cutter88

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2014, 04:31:53 PM

well I put 6 on my 640d 4 on my skid steer and 2 on my old timber jack
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

SliverPicker

I read about some guys getting H.I.D. set ups out of a Saab car for their dirt bikes.  I think they where paying the scrap yard about $30.  Now that would be some good work lighting!
Yooper by trade.

barbender

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2014, 04:31:53 PM

We work in the dark a lot with the CTL equipment, especially in the winter when you only have maybe 10 hours of daylight.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

the only leds i have used are the strobe. i dont like them. they will not melt the snow that lands on them. do you have alternator enought for more lights? leds donts draw much but halogen lights do

Ken

Thanks for the replies guys. The led lights I recently purchased were $100+ apiece so I was just looking for another source of durable, bright lights.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Small Slick

Lamps (light bulbs) are generally rated in kelvin temperature. The more blue and harsh the light is the higher the kelvin temp is. The point where it becomes noticeable is about 5000 kelvin. 6500 kelvin is pretty blue and 3500 kelvin is kind of yellow. A good working light is 4100k to 5k I like the 5k myself.

I can't offer any great sources for lamps other than your local electrician. However I suppose you are looking for 12 volt lamps so an auto parts place or the Internet is probably best.

The nice thing about LED is they can take a lot of vibration; they do not like heat though.

John

snowstorm

i was at milton cat last week for parts. they had led lights $50 each. i am sure they did not have a cat sticker on them for that price

Dusty Rhodes

I bought some LED Utility lights from superbrightleds.com.  Nice website that shows photo and videos of each light.  I've gotten many products from them and have been well pleased.  Reasonable prices in my opinion.  Some of the utility lights have differing color spectrums and various beam patterns.  I bought a couple for my tractor and they worked well this past winter.  I like the LED's, low amp draw, long life and the ones I bought were clearly white light, not blue.   

Offthebeatenpath

Ken,

I'm not sure if you're still looking for lights, but I outfitted my skidder with four LEDs this year- two circular 27 watt spots for the back and two light bars for the front, one 7" and 36 watts, and one 14" and 72 watts.  The bars have some LEDs that are spots and some floods, so they produce a good balance of long distance and wide range.  Man, that thing lights up the night now!

I got all the lights on Amazon for an average of 70-75% off retail. Paid $25-60 bucks each. Got out of it for less than $150 total.  I spent time researching which lights are good quality via through other web sites, then bought off Amazon.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!