iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved!! Don't Go Barking Up the Wrong Tree

Started by WDH, May 16, 2008, 11:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Here is a barky one for you.  Very typical bark for this tree at this stage of growth, about 12" in DBH.........

The ridges are just starting to crack open.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

okie

I believe that is hickory behind it so that is my guess, does look like some of the young locusts we have too.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Lanier_Lurker

I have a lot of yellow poplar in my area that look like that.  Also, from what I can discern about the form of the tree from that section of trunk, it looks nice and straight with little taper.  This also could point to it being yellow poplar.

WDH

Nope, nope, and nope.  All very good observations, but all wrong.  Here is a pic of the branching habit.  Also typical of this species.  No, not the pines!  It is the tree with the branches without leaves.....

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ironwood

Definitely not ash. Perhaps hophornbeam?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

DonK, it is not sourwood or ironwood.

Ironwood, it is not ironwood :).

This is a tough one.  The bark looks different on younger trees (about 30 years old and less).  This is a younger version.

This is a commercially harvested species, not one of the main ones, but not rare to see in lumber form.

Here is a hint:  As you progress up the tree, the bark smooths out some and has some little bumps on it.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

I ment the other Hornbeam, not Blue beech( American Hornbeam, Ironwood, Musclewood),  BUT Eastern Hophornbeam.

I don't think Hop goes by "Ironwood"

Ironwood.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I'm sticking with poplar, just have to figure out which one I'm talking about.  :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

when I doubt, I call everything red oak (but bear in mind that I've not been formally trained!)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Lanier_Lurker

Can I assume this tree to be in Houston County?

WDH

Not hophornbeam, not populous, not red oak, not anything mentioned.

I said it was a tough one.....

The pic was taken in Texas. 

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on May 16, 2008, 07:07:05 PM
Here is a pic of the branching habit.  Also typical of this species.

Looking at that pic, I'm going to have to guess blackgum (nyssa sylvatica)

limbrat

ben

Timburr

Is it flavoured with a hint of lime (tilia)?
Sense is not common

Dodgy Loner

Methinks the Englishman is onto something...
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Timburr!!  You are barking up the right tree :D.

Way to go ;D.  Tilia it is.  Good old basswood. 

SOLVED!

Lanier_Lurker

DanG it...

I should have realized that after your emphasis on the splits in the bark.

I also should have learned better from this earlier post of mine.  :(

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,28251.0.html

WDH

LL,

That sure was a fun post, glad you brought it back up. 

I went to Dahlonega today and passed by one little arm of the lake off GA 400 except there weren't no lake, just a dry steambed :).  I thought about you when I saw the sign.

Texas Ranger

You are one up on me, Danny, don 't believe I have ever seen a basswood in Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on May 17, 2008, 10:39:16 PM
I went to Dahlonega today and passed by one little arm of the lake off GA 400 except there weren't no lake, just a dry steambed :).  I thought about you when I saw the sign.

Yep, you passed about a mile away from me there at exit 15.  The creek you mention is between exits 15 and 16.

Dahlonega is a pretty town.  I have a coworker who lives on the north side of town there and drives all the way to downtown Atlanta to work every day - about 40 more minutes on top of what I have to drive.

Dahlonega is also right on the edge of the transition from the upper piedmont to the mountains - which makes for an interesting mix of flora.

WDH

Quote from: Texas Ranger on May 17, 2008, 10:43:02 PM
You are one up on me, Danny, don 't believe I have ever seen a basswood in Texas.

Tex,

Yep, they are there in the Pineywoods.  This tree was in San Jacinto County.

LL,

I did not realize that I was so close to your place with all the cool trees.  I went to play Bluegrass music at the Mountain Festival this weekend for a friend who owns a wine tasting shop just south of town on Hwy 60.  It was a fun but grueling day.  Very pretty up there, but civilization is there in full force now.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I guessed basswood with the branching pattern and bark. But my yard trees are not splitting in the bark yet, they are still smooth and gray like beech.  :D Might be starting at the very base. The prominent bark breakage is from dang sap suckers.  :-X >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!