iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what the heck..

Started by turningfool, May 28, 2009, 07:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

found this tree a short distance from the house,has leaves similar to a chestnut or a buckeye but has birch-like bark,does anyone know what it is? A michigan tree,ot a transplants from wherever.

beenthere

Shagbark hickory?
A pic of the bark would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blame

yup hickory leaf is what i thought

turningfool

dont have pics of the trunk,but its like birch but much darker,will try to het some pics of it to post,i've seen hiccory,anddoubt these are those

Lanier_Lurker

My first thought is hickory, but I think ash has a similar leaflet structure.

More likely hickory, but the "birch-like" bark does not sound quite right - unless it is a shagbark.

DanG

Looks awfully hickoryish to me too.

TF, did you shoot that down with a shotgun, or y'all got a bad bug problem up there? ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Probably a hickory, has a couple too many leaflets than a hop-tree or wafer ash Ptelea trifoliata.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: turningfool on May 29, 2009, 04:33:13 AM
dont have pics of the trunk,but its like birch but much darker,will try to het some pics of it to post,i've seen hiccory,anddoubt these are those

Pics yet?   :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

The-Burl-Hunter

at first glance it also did look like hickory to me

Dodgy Loner

I vote for hickory as well.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

blame

did the bark look like this

WDH

I bet it does not have a hand wrapped around it like the one in the pic  :).

Hickory for me, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rambo

DirtForester

It's hickory.  Could be pignut hickory.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

WDH

The five leaflets lead one to pignut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!