iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storage of kd lumber

Started by Dugsaws, March 06, 2004, 08:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

What kind of setup is everyone using to store kd lumber, such as building type equipment to keep the lumber at a certian % moisture, what species of wood, how long in storage etc etc

The reason I am asking is I have some Hard Maple and walnut I would like to keep until I decide what I am going to do with it, I have about 2000 ft of each.
Doug

Brian_Bailey

Dugsaws,  

I store my kd in an insulated pole barn.
I heat the building in the winter because that is where my shop is.
I watch the humidity and have to add moisture to the air during the heating season.
During the summer I have to run a dehumidifier to keep the Rh in check.
I've stashed quite an assortment over the years, just waiting for that right project to come along. I still have lumber that I sawed back in the eighties.

I think I would op for one of those insulated shipping containers if your only talking 4 mbf.

David Marks of DIY Woodworks fame showed on one of his episodes where he stores his lumber. It appeared to be just a plain ol woodshed with doors on it. He said, that he brings the wood into his shop and lets it acclimate before using it. He makes some beautiful items with that stuff.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!