iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl LoPro - Full Chisel or Semi?

Started by lxskllr, October 21, 2018, 05:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I'm looking at Baileys, and and thinking of buying a reel of chain for my two smaller saws. Never used Stihl on those, but I've been very happy with the full chisel Stihl chain on my big saws. Which tooth would you suggest for someone who is probably best described as a firewood hack? I cut under varied conditions. Wood could be filthy, or pristine, but most probably falls somewhere in between. I haven't had issues keeping my big saws sharp, but most of that wood has been on the cleaner end of the spectrum. I'm also open to other brands and companies to order from, but I'm not interested in sending money to China. Suggestions?

I started this year with an old PoulanPro and some handsaws, then had a big tree come down. I now have four saws, a bag full of files/wedges/misc, Helmet/chaps, a Silky handsaw, a German axe, a saddle with spurs, ropes, and various accessory cord, and am now thinking about spinning my own chain  :rollseyes:

thecfarm

I use that yellow Stihl chain on my Efco and my 372 Husky. That chain really woke up that 50CC efco. :o  I am not a chain and bar know it all. I had a small shop set me up with the yellow chain. First I heard of it about 5 years ago. He was a Johnsred dealer,but would and could work on all models. He retired,sad for me. Seem like I had to buy another bar for the Husky to run this chain. He retired last year. Now I have to find a Stihl dealer to buy that chain from.
I only cut firewood now too. I doubt I go through 10 chains a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

I run a lot of 3/8 low pro semi chisel on my small saws, cuts like crazy and stays sharp a long time.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

I've got a few loops of I think Stihl calls rapid super which is round chisel I use on my Ms 200T's .it's faster than semi chisel .I don't buy any thing from the supplier mentioned . :-X

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 21, 2018, 10:21:26 AM
I've got a few loops of I think Stihl calls rapid super which is round chisel I use on my Ms 200T's .it's faster than semi chisel .I don't buy any thing from the supplier mentioned . :-X
I've seen it inferred there's some kind of history here with them. Got me to look around. Amazon has better prices. I can buy from them, and get the carburetor toolkit I forgot to order last time. I'll check the local dealer also. Think they'd have 25' rolls? Not sure I want to commit to 100' right now.

Al_Smith

I use so little of it I just buy  a loop at a dealers .I've got bulk rolls in 3/8 standard and .404 though .Plus the fact over the years I've amassed about 40 or 50 loops I have hanging on nails in my garage it's very seldom I make up another loop .However it gets a little bit of a nuisance sorting out 70 driver McCulloch loops from 72 driver Stihl loops if they get hung on the wrong nail .

lxskllr

I'm not using tons of chain either, but buying a loop at homedepot yesterday really irritated me. Chinese made chain for not much less than a premade Stihl loop. The hardware store is a bit more reasonable, but it's still Oregon chain of unknown origin, and the price is about the same as it would be if I made my own loop of Stihl. Seems like making my own Stihl stuff is the way to go. My experience with their premade loops has been very favorable.

thecfarm

I sell them preboxed oregon chains at work. :o These comes in a plastic box.  Very pricey. We only sell the safety chains.
I use to buy mine from the dealer or Labonville.
I think the closet Stihl dealer is just about an hour away. But no big deal. Most times I try to have another bar for each saw and at least 2 chains for each saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Stihl 63PS or PS3 chisel is great when cutting clean softwood like spruce.
But for overall firewood cutting pine or hardwood I recommend semi chisel 63 PM.

For 50cc saws the Stihl 23RSC chisel can't be beat. Fast cutting chisel in both soft and hardwood with a more durable cutter.
Real dirty wood or ground cover you can't beat Stihl 23RMC semi chisel.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ButchC

I keep two types of 3/8 LP chain in the shop. Stihl 63PS and Carton N1C. As Ralf said the 63PS chisel isnt the chain for dirty wood but it is bar none the fasting cutting 3/8 LP chain in the conditions where it works well. I have had very good luck with it in clean hardwoods but mind you I am only limbing with that sized saw and chains.  The Carton N1C is a chamfer chisel chain that handles dirt and hard knots much better than the 63PS but is at least 10% slower when both are sharp.  For quite some time Stihl was the only supplier of 3/8 LP chisel chain however I see that Baileys now has it listed in their house brand chains.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!