iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

recovering side lumber

Started by Dave H., February 17, 2016, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

this has been brought up several times.this is how i do it.ihave a completely manual mill so i feel it it actually easier to recover boards from side slabs.i also am a hobby sawyer and wood worker so i am able to recoup "costs" thru selling projects made from recovered boards.
first cut up the logs,then i decide if any of the sides are potentially worth anything.if they are,this is how i get them.

i lay down a spacer board(my mill cuts down to 1 1/4 in) i use a board at least as wide as the board im cutting,this gives stable platform to cut off of.

i raise my stops up about 1/4 inch above board to catch edge.

ithen set the mill to the thickness of the cut,in this case 1inch.

next is to put weight on the slab until i get into the slab(this could end badly if the weight slips of so use caution!)

picture of result.2 outside pieceswere cut off the log,middle piece was recovered from a thick side slbe.i recovered a 1x6x8 from a 10ft slab.

recovered 1x4x8 from a 10foot

1x5x7 froma 10ft

pile of recovered side lumber

ellmoe

Why not cut these boards while they are attached to the log, simpler and quicker?
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Brad_S.

X2.
Much faster and easier. Easier and faster to discard a board you don't like than to go through the work involved in salvaging them from slabs IMO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!