iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP 518 cat cable skidder NO CRANK

Started by skidinmetimbers, December 27, 2017, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skidinmetimbers

skidder wont start seems to have power  ran fine now wont start back up  no crank at all

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

mike_belben

Get your meter out and verify

1. the batteries are charged
2. there is battery voltage at the starter solenoid input lug.

Have someone turn the key and see if you get battery voltage on the solenoid output side.. i.e.. Is the solenoid contacting or is it not. 

If its not closing the circuit across the two main lugs, figre out why.  Either it has lost ground, or has lost control voltage or have failed. 

Report back your findings and well go from there.
Praise The Lord

mills

I've been through a couple of starter motors in mine. The first one was pretty much worn out, but showed signs of moisture getting in. The second was a CAT rebuild, and lasted only two years. It also had moisture damage. Never pressure washed it with direct spray, but now I avoid as much over-spray as possible. This last one is now going on it's fourth year. Another thing is to check your cables, especially where they cross the winch drive shaft. Follow Mike's advice and it should lead you to the problem.

mike_belben

Starter motors can usually be broken down and cleaned up enough to revive them.  If the carbon dust from the brushes packs into the commutator segments then they will all have continuity and the rotor stops.  The donkey catches up to the carrot on the stick so to speak.   The only other starter fail i typically see is broken magnets inside the housing from people smashing on them.

But first, verify you have juice past the solenoid and to the starter.  If not we have to troubleshoot the solenoid.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

pulpco1993

Look near the injection pump. The fuel shut off solenoid is sticks off. Has wire running to it. Cut key on. Listen for it to click. If it doesn't it is bad and machine want start. It has a button on the back/end that you can manually push in to shut it off or pull out do bypass the electric part and crank it. If i remember correctly.  I know you push it in to manually shut it down

pulpco1993

You need to people. One listen one turn on ignition.  Get a test light check for power on that wire feeding fuel shut off

coxy

every 518 iv been around shuts off with the fuel peddle

Thank You Sponsors!