iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Carbon Fuel Cell. - Charcoal Gasifier

Started by Puffergas, March 29, 2015, 07:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

I'm trying to make some changes before Argos this May. Below are a few photos of the bottom of the gas producer. It's a grate design but not shown below. Below that is a pan or enclosure with water in it to add H2 to the gas. The hope is that the lowered burn zone will evaporate more water and that is the idea of the cooling fins. Insulation will be ceramic blanket. I'm going to order some liquid glass to use as a rigidizer for the fragile blanket. No idea if that will work.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

r.man

Doesn't evaporating water just give water vapour?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Puffergas

Quote from: r.man on April 02, 2015, 04:43:38 PM
Doesn't evaporating water just give water vapour?

Water and charcoal is amazing stuff. Without going into chemistry talk, what happeneds is that about half of the burnable gas ends up being hydrogen (H2). The charcoal plus heat splits the H2 from the oxygen (O2), in the water. Plus just charcoal over heats so by adding water you convert that wasted heat and convert it into H2 that gets burned inside the engine at a later time. Got a love forestry products..

Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Paul_H

Good stuff Jeff,we look forward to the report on your modifications and Argo.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Puffergas

Well, I got all the photos uploaded and now it's time to hit the hay...

Below is the stuff I soaked the ceramic blanket material with and also a photo of the blanket. The blanket falls apart by just handling it but it holds up to high temps well. So they do sell a ridgedizer BUT it's expensive. Some thing like $60 a quart where this stuff is about $12.

After I finished  installing this mess I realy had my doubts.

Blanket.

Time to hit the hay,
Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

Post one more pic before heading back out.

That's looking down inside at the bottom. Sure doubt that this water glass will stiffen the ceramic blanket.
Jeff

Puffergas

After drying the blanket felt a bit stronger but not enough so I got the propane torch lite and heated the lower blanket. It turned a white color. More white than the dirtied blanket after handling it. It was easy to get small sections of it to glow red hot. It cooled fast and is much stronger now. You could easily destroy it with your fingers but it's strong enough. Just hope it holds up over time....

Up close.

Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

Jeff

Puffergas

A photo of the cyclone filter. The small long white pipe is the inlet. I gave it a little angle down. The body is 3" exhaust pipe.

Squared the end of the inlet pipe that gets welded to the body of the cyclone.

The cyclone will get shortened a bit and an outlet pipe welded in. I doubt that the water filter will work as a final filter but I had one kicking around so why not give it a try...

Removed the sheet metal from the wheel horse for painting.

Jeff

Puffergas

Well now I broke my toy, it ran like crappie.  😥  Panic set in because I'm running out of time. Had to scrap the changes to the grate area and go back to last years design, which I was happy with. So far I'm keeping the water filter. I cut the cyclone in half so it's shorter now. Found a nut jar that fits the bottom just right. The water glass is a keeper, I just ordered a gallon to have in stock. Most of the painting is done and the big rush is over.  😁

Jeff
Jeff

mad murdock

looking good so far.  Can't wait to see it in action!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Paul_H

Jeff,
we ran out of time with our project too but hopefully will have time to experiment again after the meet.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Puffergas

This is what the updated, of last years working version, grate looks like. The gasifier is upsidedown. The grate is missing that would cover the hole. There is furnace cement on the inside of the round plate that you can not see.

Jeff
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!