iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Timber-Framed Framing Ponies

Started by sheneman, January 30, 2009, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheneman

Between projects this winter, I decided to build three timber-framed framing ponies in my shop using some timber scraps.   The basic design is simple, but I got the plans from Scott Stevens at Grand Oaks Timber Framing (http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com).

I created this 5-species framing pony from:

4x6 Engelmann Spruce bases
4x6 Douglas Fir legs
4x6 Ponderosa Pine top
3x6 American elm hardwood braces
1" Locust pegs

I like the way it turned out, so I thought I'd share it.

-Luke
--
Woodmizer 25hp LT15 with 6\\\' bed extension.
Logging with a Jeep Cherokee, a Warn Winch, and a Stihl MS 260

DWM II

I like them alot. with all that fir spruce and pine they should be a lot lighter to move around. Thanks for sharing the pics. :)
Stewardship Counts!

shinnlinger

As disclosed in the other thread on horses, I am a fan of keeping my horses light and easy to move around and saving my energy for other things, BUT those are pretty nice and I could see a set or two in the shop.

What are the dimensions on those beautys?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brad_bb

Very nice!  You know the thing I have about the larger timber horses (or Clydesdales as one recently called them), is that they are heavy and awkward to move.  The large ones aren't for me right now because I don't want them occupying space when not being used, but the one thing they need is retractable casters.  I've seem a set on here or the TF guild forum with casters, but the problem is that if we put too much timber weight on the horses, the casters may fail prematurely.  So I'm thinking what would really be nice is a set of retractable casters and flip up and down with your foot.  They'd only be used to move the horse and would be retracted when weight is on the horse.  The horse would be resting on it's wooden foot as designed when it has timbers on it.  Another option would be a caster on a spring so that once say 50 lbs was applied, the caster would be fully retracted (spring compressed).  I just chose 50 lbs out of the air, it would have to be enough spring force to hold the horse up when no timbers are on it, but such that the weight of one timber would compress it.  Just some thoughts.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

zopi

Those are too pretty to use...go cut yourself a wide tabletop flitch and set 'em up on your porch for
a picnic table!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raphael

I agree, that contrast from the pegs and braces is far to nice to hide in the workshop.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

sheneman

Shinnlinger:  The pine top is exactly 5' long.   I think the bases are 3' long.  Wide enough to work several timbers at a time, if needed.

The Spruce is really light.  I've never had trouble moving them around, but they can take up a lot of shop space.

Zopi:  I've actually toyed with the idea of making a table out of them instead of slowly destroying them in the shop.  I've got some large slabs of Elm that would make a great table top.  We'll see...   I'm almost done with my second framing pony.  Same design, but different species (more Spruce, no Fir).

Fun stuff!

Thanks for the comments!
--

shinnlinger

HOw tall is it?  Is it comfy working 10x timbers???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sheneman

Shinlinger:  The top surfaces of the ponies are 2'7".  This seems perfect for 8x8 and 10x10, etc.  Maybe a little short for 3" and 4" timbers, but I suppose those can be elevated.

I just finished another one made from scraps.

4x6 Engelmann spruce base and legs
4x7 Wany Ponderosa pine top.
3x6 American elm braces.
1" locust pegs

The framing ponies in the background of the following picture (the ones holding up that curved Elm timber) are 100% 4x7 Engelmann spruce with 1" white oak pegs:

Cheers,
-Luke
--

Jim_Rogers

Take a draw knife to that bark and clean them up.... then they'll look real nice.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sheneman

Nah, I like the bark. 

I'm sure it will fall off anyway, though.   ;)

-Luke
--

Jim_Rogers

If you take them outside during bug season and the bark is still on them, then you'll have some guests creating a home there......

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

witterbound

They look like furniture.  I'd hate to use them, for fear of marking them up. 

I'm a fan of heavier ponies for timber framing.  I just like something heavy to push against, I guess.

Tom Sawyer

I did not know that American Elm looks so much like the walnut that I saw around here.  Very nice work :)

Thank You Sponsors!