iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good books

Started by northwoods1, December 14, 2010, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Quote from: rbarshaw on March 10, 2011, 09:11:52 PM
I am an avid SciFi reader, I have read all books by authors such as Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinline, Ray Bradbury, Jules Vern, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Aundre Norton, Ann McAffrey, And other more contemporary authors.

I used to love reading sci-fi. It always amazed me how so many good writers could have the foresight to predict a lot of technological advancements that were to come. A lot of Jules Verne contemporaries must have thought he was loony for talking about going to the moon :) It didn't take long as he had probably imagined it was going to.

northwoods1

Quote from: bama20a on February 23, 2011, 10:26:53 PM

The Holy Bible, 8)

I wonder how many people these days have actually read this book?? Been a while since I have picked it up I have to admit.

rbarshaw

I have read the Bible several times in the KJV, once in the NIV and, 3 times in The Living Bible. The Living Bible is by far the easiest to understand. As an Adult Sunday School teacher, I teach from The Living Bible and study from it and the KJV and NIV and several other versions on my computer
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

D Hagens

I'm reading a book called Sail, it's an interesting read.

Patty

Northwoods, I think the Ayn Rand books relate totally to me for a couple of reasons. First because I am self employed.....an entrepreneur....who constantly feels the chains of government restricting me. Also, I am a political junkie, and have always resented the government and its actions.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ibseeker

Northwoods, I like browsing through used books stores too especially when I have the time to really enjoy it. One of the best that I've ever been in was in Knoxville, TN. It was huge, well organized but too popular! I'm usually reading sci-fi or fantasy but started branching out after using the library services. You don't have any public libraries close to you? Buying and selling books sounds like too much trouble if you can find them for free.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

SwampDonkey

There were always used book places up here and often the leftovers from estate auctions. I've never found too much of interest because all the good stuff was already "high graded" and you were left with what nobody wanted. :D People are always combing those places and scrounging for the one good book in 500. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

1861 The Civil War Awakening by Adam Goodheart. Just started it seems well written and got very nice reviews.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DouginUtah

I take it that there are several here who have the Kindle.

You may not be aware that there is a web site called http://www.daily-free-ebooks.com/ which lists free books for the Kindle. You can sign up for daily emails with about twenty-five or more free books listed each week.

If you don't have a Kindle you don't have to buy one to read any of the Kindle books. You can download a program which is called Kindle for PC (from www.amazon.com/KindleForPC) and read them on your computer.

Here is a sample of just two day's lists:

* Mechanics 101: The TextVook
    * Astronomy 101: The TextVook
    * Ancient Art History 101: The TextVook
    * Civil War 101: The Animated TextVook [Kindle Edition With Audio/Video]
    * Bankruptcy Law 101: The TextVook
    * Materials Science 101: The TextVook
    * How To Make Money With Mobile Media
    * Ancient Greece 101: The TextVook
    * World War I 101: The TextVook
    * Consumer Law 101: The TextVook

* The Call Of Zulina
    * A Promise Of Forever Love
    * A Praying Life: Connecting With God In A Distracting World
    * Lie Down In Green Pastures
    * Presenting To Win: The Art Of Telling Your Story, Updated And Expanded Edition
    * Psych Yourself Rich: Get The Mindset And Discipline You Need To Build Your Financial Life
    * Microbiology 101: The TextVook
    * Mechanical Engineering 101: The TextVook
    * Shrimp: The Endless Quest For Pink Gold
    * History Of The Middle East In The 20th Century 101: The TextVook
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Raider Bill

So now that the Kindle and I book or what ever it is has been out awhile what do you that own one think?

Weekend_Sawyer

I finally killed my last flip phone and decided to drag myself into the current decade. I bought a Droid X. I use it alot more than I thought I would and the phone is secondary now. It came with a Kindle app. I had not thought about it until I realized I could carry multiple books in my pocket! I like it and I was against book readers when they came out.

To sum it up. I'm for em.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mometal77

Blacks Law Dictionary for my father kinda neat there are a few others out there as well.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

scgargoyle

I don't know how I missed this thread! I usually only have time to read when I travel- what else ya gonna do at the airport all day? I'm currently chewing my way through Russka by Edward Rutherford. I've read several other of his historical fiction works, but reading about Russia is just- tough. I read ordinary stuff so fast that I've turned to reading 'classics', which I find demand a lot more of the reader then most of today's fluff. I've even started writing a novel- long way to go, though.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

old joe

My wife has and loves her Kindle.  Eye problems made it hard for her to read.  The contrast nd adjustable font size has given her back her beloved "books".

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Patty

I am on my second Kindle. This new one is even easier to read. The new covers even have their own little light built into them so I don't have to carry my Brite Light anymore.

My mom uses her Kindle all the time because it is easier for her to read.

The only downside is the cost of the books. Yes they have several freebies, and discounted books, and I love the instant downloads, but the new books are getting pricey. Used to be most new books were under $10 and I thought with the convenience it was very reasonable. Now the new ones are running around $15  >:( >:(   .  For trips and airport reading and waiting in the doctors office, etc, the Kindle is awesome, however for everyday stuff I find I am back to looking at the used books for a penny plus $4 shipping.

Right now I am in the middle of a 5 book series, The Tales of the Otori. Easy to read, pretty light, and a nice break after all the Ayn Rand books.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Raider Bill

Patty,

Why the second one did the first puke?

A new best seller paperback sells for $7-9 and even at that price I cringe. At $15 yikes!

BTW I just re-read Anthem and as soon as my eyes get back to normal I'll be able to see again. I sure wish she had bigger handwriting.......

Weekend_Sawyer

Frank Dufresne wrote 2 books, "My Way Was North" his autobiography about living in Alaska and "No Room for Bears" both very good.

Jon

Patty

Bill, no my first one is just fine. It is of the 2nd generation which gets its books via cell towers. Amazon turned to Sprint to send the books and Sprint does not cover our area, so I could not download directly to my Kindle anymore. Instead I had to send it to my computer and then download it onto the Kindle, or drive around Iowa with my Kindle in tow until I hit a pocket that Sprint covers.  ::)

So when my mom stepped on her Kindle and broke it, I donated mine to her since she lives in a Sprint zone, and bought myself a new one. The new generation Kindles get their books via wireless, so I am good to go.  8)

You think your vision is screwed after the Anthem, try reading all of Atlas Shrugged in that teeny tiny print. Holy buckets, my eyes will never be the same again.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Sprucegum

When I was a young lad I got my reading material in the mail from the Regional Library. They sent me a list showing the book's title, author, ISBN number, and how many pages in the book. The books came in the mail every three or four weeks and I was allowed to order three at a time. As I became a better reader I chose books with high page counts in hopes they would last till the next batch.

Fast forward to last Christmas; I got a Kobo, similar to a Kindle but I can only download from the computer, and now I am reading the 1.8 million free books Bibby mentioned previously. A lot of them are the old classics I read as a kid - I am appalled at how my vocabulary has slipped since then  :-[

SwampDonkey

We had a book mobile program a few years ago. The York library would send a van around with books and sit at a church lot part of a day to lend books in rural areas. Don't do it any longer around here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Piney posted about a Tom Clancy book earlier, so I ran out and bought it. "The Bear & The Dragon" is the name, and I just finished it this morning. WOW. 

If this book doesn't send chills up your spine, nothing will! Thanks Piney, for the suggestion.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Weekend_Sawyer

Anytheng by Larry Mcmurtry but I think one of his best books was " Zeke and Ned" a true page turner.

Raider Bill

Brothers, Rivals and Victors by Jonathan Jordan

Eisenhower, Patton and Bradley and the partnership that drove the Allied conquest in Europe.

Patty

John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany"  was sure an unusual book. I almost put it away unfinished, but I sure am glad I stuck with it. The ending was well worth it!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Stephen King has a new book "Dark Tower". Apparently, it was slated for a movie. But the studio figured it would be a very expensive film, so cancelled plans.

When I was a kid, there was a game out called Dark Tower, it was a battery operated gizmo that sat  in the middle of a game board.

Thank You Sponsors!