iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing fabricated beams

Started by Qweaver, July 27, 2018, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I need to saw 5"x11" fabed ply beams.  The customer says hes been told that these beams "can not " be sawed with a chain saw.  I know nothing about these glued beams.  Can I saw them on my band saw?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Hey WV Sawmiller.  Know anything about these beems
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bruno of NH

I would think the bandsaw will cut them.
I would use a cobalt or better type band.
Because of the heat and all the glue.
The chainsaw rips them apart.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Qweaver on July 27, 2018, 02:29:05 PM
I need to saw 5"x11" fabed ply beams.  The customer says hes been told that these beams "can not " be sawed with a chain saw.  I know nothing about these glued beams.  Can I saw them on my band saw?

Quinton
Are you starting with something bigger (how big?) cutting down to the 5x11 or are  you starting with the 5x11 and cutting down to, what?  I'm assuming the customer is taking responsibility for the resulting beam's strength, or lack there of.  Glu-lams are engineered to their manufactured size.  Cut them down and all bets are off!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Qweaver

Yeah, my thoughts also on the cutting down.  He wants to cut the 5.5 x 11.5 to 5.5 x 5.75.  I don't trust the resulting strength.  But that is his call.  I will point it out.  They are 16' long

WV Sawmiller

Quinton,

No, I have never sawed or even heard of them. 

I have long laminated beams in my log home. They are about 6" wide X 2' tall and 36' long. Looks like they took 2X6's and planed and glued them together.

Cutting a 5" X 11" the length your mill will handle should be a piece of cake if your mill is properly alligned. The strength would depend on the type and grade wood used I would think. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Qweaver on July 27, 2018, 04:31:22 PM
Yeah, my thoughts also on the cutting down.  He wants to cut the 5.5 x 11.5 to 5.5 x 5.75.  I don't trust the resulting strength.  But that is his call.  I will point it out.  They are 16' long
Wow, about all that will be good for is door and window headers! 
If you had a Makita beam saw, you could just rip it with a 1x4 nailed on the side as a guide.  Could even use a 10ΒΌ skill saw if you cut from both sides.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brucer

If these are glulam beams, there's a couple of issues.

First, a lot of them have hardened aluminum nails internally (to hold the laminations in alignment). This may or may not be a problem with your saw blades.

Second, the laminations on the top and bottom are usually clear lumber, because this is where the highest stresses are located. The internal laminations may be a lower grade (and strength) because they serve mainly as spacers. When you cut off the top/bottom layers the resulting beams are weaker then a beam that was designed to be the same depth.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Qweaver

OK  We sawed a trailer load (about 30) to 5.5 x 8.  Used lots of water and cut slower than usual and the cut stayed straight.  Blade had already cut several logs and was starting to get dull at the end but still OK.  Easy job. These boards were "treated" whatever that means. 
Quinton

Thank You Sponsors!