iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved!!!!!!....Gum Bumelia. What is This?

Started by WDH, April 19, 2007, 02:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I agree with Bro. Noble.  Ironwood is usually used to refer to american hornbeam(Carpinus caroliniana) and eastern hophornbeam (Ostrya virginia).  Hornbeam has the very smooth gray bark with flutes in the bark that look like muscles.  Hophornbeam bark is brown and very scaly.  Both are understory species.

The leaves of gum bumelia are very soft and velvety underneath.  The leaves are not hard and stiff like live oak.  It looks like that in your website, SD, but the leaves are actually pliable.

I have some other pics that I will post tomorrow.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah those hophornbeam can take over a sugar bush. You can start out with 20 hophornbeam on 10 acres and do some thinning in the stand, then before long you have 100,000's of them.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2007, 06:29:43 PM
I agree with Bro. Noble.  Ironwood is usually used to refer to american hornbeam(Carpinus caroliniana) and eastern hophornbeam (Ostrya americana).  Hornbeam has the very smooth gray bark with flutes in the bark that look like muscles.  Hophornbeam bark is brown and very scaly.  Both are understory species.

The leaves of gum bumelia are very soft and velvety underneath.  The leaves are not hard and stiff like live oak.  It looks like that in your website, SD, but the leaves are actually pliable.

I have some other pics that I will post tomorrow.

They have mild, non-acidic, pleasant taste.  Unlike the ironwood family.    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WDH

I posted the scientific name of hophornbeam wrong.  It is Ostrya virginia not Ostrya americana.

I have never liked the taste of ironwood either ;D.

You hit the nail on the head, SwampDonkey.  Hophornbeam is a very efficient colonizer on my property.  I burned a hardwood stand on my place 5 years ago.  Now the understory is a hophornbeam thicket :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

My backyard gum bumelia is in full bloom.  The flowers cluster at the base of the leaf petiole.  The bees are loving it, too.

Sorry that the pic is blurry. 

Thank You Sponsors!