iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is sanity returning ?

Started by jim king, May 01, 2007, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

It seems that a small bit of sanity is retutning to the world with reference to tropical timber.
Here is a short story where an NGO has lost a phony lawsuit against a couple of companies working legally in Peru.

International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) International Organizations Center - 5th Floor, Pacifico-Yokohama
Market Information Service (MIS) 1-1-1 Minato-Mirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-0012, Japan E-mail: mis@itto.or.jp Website: http://www.itto.or.jp

US NGO loses mahogany lawsuit
The US Court of International Trade rejected the National
Resource Defense Council's (NRDC) efforts to interfere
with internationally regulated trade in Peruvian mahogany.
The Court dismissed on 16 April the NRDC lawsuit
against the US government and two private importers of
Peruvian mahogany, stating that imports of mahogany
from Peru were accompanied by all CITES required
environmental permits. The court also summarily denied
NRDC's motion for a preliminary injunction that would, if
granted, have stopped a $60 million international trade
with Peru. Under the fee-shifting provisions of the
Endangered Species Act, the court may require NRDC to
pay the legal expenses incurred by the private defendants
in responding to the suit. Bozovich Timber Products from
Alabama and TBM Hardwoods from Pennsylvania, the
private defendants in the case, were pleased with the court
decision.
US imports of hardwood lumber retreat in 2006

Tom

Jim,
I'm glad to see that there is at least one judge that has the fortitude to call these people on Harrassment lawsuits.  Now if this kind of information were made as public as the fact that the logger was taken to court, we might be getting somewhere.

I've noticed the use of NGO companies as being identified with wacko invirmentalist in your posts.  Does this stand for Non Governmental Organizations?  If so, what companies are identified with the term.  Most of the wacko's in the USA are indentified with specific organizations  rather than a global term.

Non Governmental is a term that sounds like the organization is imbedded in truth and protecting the citizens of the world against the Mean and Bad, Companies and Governments.  Left wing radicals, like The Sierra Club, would fit into that cubby hole.

Most of these organizations haven't had to deal with the same kind of "flack", accusations, frivilous lawsuits, one sided documentaries and propaganda such as they spew.  Winning these lawsuits is a non-event since the damage has already been done before the judgement is announced.  It's about time that these accusations carried some risk of retribution such that the accused got some  kind of public pardon and the accuser's fanaticism was identified.

jim king

Tom:  You are right , NGO´s (Non Governmental Organizations) or (No Good Operatives) as every one refers to them here have the hint of legitimacy to them just due to thier generic title of NGO.

The public really doesn´t understand that NGO´s are generally with few exceptions a bunch of people sucking money out the the well meaning publics pockets with the promise of some pending world ending crises that thay are going to single handedly prevent.

I have never seen a detailed costing  statement from one of these operations stating where the money goes that they bring in.  What I have seen on several sites is that they are helping a large National Park near us here and as I am in contact with the people from this park I know it is all nothing but a lie.

Where is 60 Minetes or CNN when we need them.

Tom

You will probably not hear from CNN and 60 min.  because they are just two more NGO's.  Even though they think they are Government.  If they took sides, their liberal bent would place them on the side of the NGO anyway.  These media "news" organizations would have to go a long way to prove to me that they are neutral.

I can see how some "reverse" lawsuits may eventually get someone's attention.  Where are the industry magnates when you need them? :)

thurlow

Tom...........Hear, hear;  wasn't DanG sure about the spelling, thought it could've been "here, here", so I looked it up................

QUOTE.  "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Not sure about that brillant part, but I'll accept it.   :)

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

olyman

Quote from: thurlow on May 02, 2007, 10:48:47 AM
Tom...........Hear, hear;  wasn't DanG sure about the spelling, thought it could've been "here, here", so I looked it up................

QUOTE.  "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Not sure about that brillant part, but I'll accept it.   :)    and most of those speakers are nether eloquent---or brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! just have toooo much time and money on their hands--or are wanting to steal the money---typ libs----

Thank You Sponsors!