iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini-Excavator Harvester Heads

Started by labradorguy, January 30, 2019, 01:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbco68

You can always process at the landing. Just skid to it with an older skidder. A smaller excavator would work just fine on the landing. Also, stroke processing heads don't require a lot of oil flow so you should be fine with existing oil cooler. Working it on the landing wouldn't need a lot of extra guarding either. A purpose built forest machine is great but by the time they get down to a manageable price, you have so many existing machine hours on it that the downtime can be a bottomles pit. Just trying to say there is more than one way to go about it.

labradorguy

That's exactly the thing. It doesn't matter who made it or how good of a job the dealer did with their "DuPont overhaul", when you buy a machine with 11,000 hours on it, problems are right around the corner. 

snowstorm

11000 hrs would not scare me if it looked good. my rottne has 19000 hrs on it. unless your 311 has a lot more travel power than my 311 it isnt going to like it. i only started in 78 i am still learning

Corley5

I'd be most concerned with how soft the cab, engine hood etc are.  Especially the cab.  Death comes from above in woods.  Forestry machine's have tough roofs on the cans, heavy Lexan windows and or steel screens etc.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

Quote from: Corley5 on February 07, 2019, 06:43:38 AM
I'd be most concerned with how soft the cab, engine hood etc are.  Especially the cab.  Death comes from above in woods.  Forestry machine's have tough roofs on the cans, heavy Lexan windows and or steel screens etc.
i did my best to sell him yours

Corley5

Thank You ;D  I've been staying out of it ;) ;D :)

Skeans1

Quote from: Corley5 on February 07, 2019, 06:43:38 AM
I'd be most concerned with how soft the cab, engine hood etc are.  Especially the cab.  Death comes from above in woods.  Forestry machine's have tough roofs on the cans, heavy Lexan windows and or steel screens etc.
A forestry cab is a must even for sitting on a landing just processing at least then you'll have a chance if something gets away from you. I remember seeing a difference for the harvester processor cab guarding vs shovel out here back when we were allowed to just guard them.

labradorguy

Quote from: snowstorm on February 06, 2019, 06:04:58 PM
11000 hrs would not scare me if it looked good. my rottne has 19000 hrs on it. unless your 311 has a lot more travel power than my 311 it isnt going to like it. i only started in 78 i am still learning
What year/version is your 311?

Ken

There was a contractor here who did small scale forest improvement work with a small Kubota? and a patu stroke head a few years back.  He worked with it for a few years and did some really nice work but it was painfully slow   Personally I would be very leary of putting a small excavator in a forest harvesting environment but it has been done
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Riwaka

The tigercat operators say they would rather use an 8-10 K hour tigercat 845 (non tilting if the ground slope is ok)  than a new converted excavator.

A Landy's website (excavator conversion) shows how much is put into the Hyundai conversion above. New cab screen, 1/2 inch lexan etc,  diesel tank guards, belly pan, new track drive guards etc
excavator fabrication

Cat 521B with southstar qs500  (pretty expensive combo)
Southstar 500 on a Cat 521B Milton Cat - YouTube

What condition are the John Deere 703, 753, 759 etc are in when going back to the yard? Take off a quadco and put on a 5185 on a JD?

Tigercat lx830c with 5185 head in gnarly wood.
New FC5185 bar saw - YouTube

Corley5

This is the Hitachi EX 150 with a Risley Slingshot I used to have.  It's got a lot of extra guarding for woods work.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Corley5

It was a 20 cord a day machine.  It worked OK.  Simple machine.  No electronics.  Not a lot of tractive power but it was pretty whipped when I got it.  Had a lot of tail swing.  I'm pretty sure Roland Equipment did the conversions.

mike_belben

So it looks like a hotsaw stroke limber head i guess?  Howd you like that part of it? Could it buck to length?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Looks like an intermediate disc, the conversion looks a lot like what Fabtek did to the 490's.

Corley5

The stroke could be adjusted with the bumper stops from like 94 to 106".  We had white paint marks on the beam @ 2' intervals to cut 10s and 12s.  Intermittent saw.  It only ran when the button was pushed.  There used to be a following for them to cut northern white cedar cabin logs because there are no feed roller marks on the wood.  It would bunch too but multiple stems wouldn't always stroke evenly cutting to length. There's a Timbco that shows up on the Yooper Craigs List now and again with a Slingshot Head.
  I've heard the EX 150 Hitachi and the 490 JD are the same machine except the Hitachi uses an Isuzu engine and the paint color.

Thank You Sponsors!